1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the bike today.

70 degrees.......awesome
First time on the bike in too damn long........sweeeeeeet
First reach for the water bottle............mishandle.......bottle into ditch.....fail.
Smooth 1:45 hours in zone 2 160 BPM...........great for the engine.

that tired feeling that comes from a real effort........priceless.

It's always hard as hell thinking about getting back into shape...........but 5 minutes after turning the first peddle, I remember why I love this sport so much. :D

Don't wait to get on the bike.

Len

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
This needs an NNC warning.

But I agree with you 100%. I've got a little over 500 miles so far this year, so today's ride wasn't really about getting back on the bike. But getting out there in short sleeves and knickers and feeling a little too hot at times, well that was unbelievable. 70+ degrees when we left the house.

Kind of got carried away and kicked our butts hard, but it was worth it, just to get some extended time in great weather.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
Sounds wonderful Len. I hear you on that one!

(it's snowing here. Again.)
You need to go somewhere warm. :D

Len

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Yay for you, although I'm green with envy. Columbus was crazy windy today, so Girch and I decided to forego a ride. Maybe tomorrow will be nicer than forecasted.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
indysteel said:
Yay for you, although I'm green with envy. Columbus was crazy windy today, so Girch and I decided to forego a ride. Maybe tomorrow will be nicer than forecasted.
I made the mistake of doing the first 45 minutes riding northwest.....without paying attention to the fact that the wind was strong out of the southeast.......Fail.

The return trip to home was hard........just put my head down, focused on my cadence, position and heartrate, and ignored speed.

Len

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I had a plan.

1. Get up about 8.
  2. Help my wife clean up the hot tub for her friends who were coming to take it away.
  3. Get on the bike around 11.
  4. Ride for 2 hours, 1st time since I've returned and the 1st time since mid-January.
  5. Get back around 1, help the people load the hot tub, wave goodbye.

My anemometer said 23MPH at 10 AM and it didn't go down from there.

The hot tub happened, nothing else did.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I went out today after a breakfast of two cups of hot tea. I rode 51 miles on two bottles of water and two packs of guu. I thought I was going to die at the end. After I got home, I started trimming fruit trees and then I checked my bees. They showed me NO love at all today and I got stung about 8 times. After that I did a two mile hike with my daughter. I am beat.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I knows the Feelin'

It's finally warming up in my area too and I've been getting out on the bike more and more lately. Just yesterday I was spinning through a series of fast swoopy turns in 65deg temps and I was thinking... "oh my gawd this is great".

DST starts tonight... I'm having a beer or two to celebrate!

·
Registered
738 Posts
indysteel said:
Appreciate riding into the wind as the flatlanders climb...although riding around no-handed is NOT recommended on those windy days.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I know the feeling too. But I haven't got it on the road for a real ride yet. I have about 42 miles on the road this year. I got about 40 at the beach in January but the last road ride I attempted this year I got 1 mile before my stem cap broke. And today it was almost 80 degrees and I can barely move with the worst cold I've had in years. I didn't feel like doing anything today. I'm tempted to attempt to ride tomorrow cold or not. I do have good bit of mud miles but I'm nowhere near where I was last year at this time. It's been a wet and cold winter.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Len J said:
I made the mistake of doing the first 45 minutes riding northwest.....without paying attention to the fact that the wind was strong out of the southeast.......Fail.

The return trip to home was hard........just put my head down, focused on my cadence, position and heartrate, and ignored speed.

Len

I did the exact opposite yesterday....I made the mistake of doing the first 45 minutes riding southeast.....without paying attention to the fact that the wind was strong out of the northwest.......Fail.

I was SOOOOOOO over dressed for 45 degrees, but at least I was on the langster (fixed) with good, fast tires. I managed 55 miles this week....it felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Ricko said:
.although riding around no-handed is NOT recommended on those windy days.
I learned that one the hard way on my fixie. Was in a residential area, riding slow, and as soon as I have my hands off the bars to ride no handed, a crazy cross wind comes out of nowhere, and Im bouncing of the side of a parked car as i grabbed for my handlebars. Fail.

Managed to find my balance and keep riding like nothing happened though... un-fail?

//does it still count as a crash if I kept riding?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Len J said:
....First time on the bike in too damn long........sweeeeeeet....
I know exactly what you mean....it had been almost 10 hours. :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
randi_526 said:
I learned that one the hard way on my fixie. Was in a residential area, riding slow, and as soon as I have my hands off the bars to ride no handed, a crazy cross wind comes out of nowhere, and Im bouncing of the side of a parked car as i grabbed for my handlebars. Fail.

Managed to find my balance and keep riding like nothing happened though... un-fail?

//does it still count as a crash if I kept riding?
Nice save! I was just finishing a ride last fall on a particularly gusty day. The wind died down and I let go of the bars and sat upright to stretch and a big gust came along and I lurched forward to grab the bars before things got much out of control...whew! Gotta' be careful on days like that when you get those surprise gusts out of nowhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts