Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt so sorry for you poor souls on the east coast and up north last winter, when you were suffering through -10 degrees and ice and snow, while we here in sunny California had 30's, but now it's payback time. It's oppressively hot. Here is what is officially going on:

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT THURSDAY FOR THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY AND THE FOOTHILLS OF THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA AND THE TEHACHAPI MOUNTAINS BELOW 3000 FEET...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING FOR THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY AND THE FOOTHILLS OF THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA AND THE TEHACHAPI MOUNTAINS BELOW 3000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT THURSDAY.

HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY AND THE ELEVATIONS BELOW 3000 FEET IN THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA AND TEHACHAPI FOOTHILLS WILL BE IN THE 105 TO 112 DEGREE RANGE TODAY AND THURSDAY. THE COMBINATION OF THESE NEAR RECORD HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITIES WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDEX VALUES AS HIGH AS 112 DEGREES DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS IN THE DOWNTOWN METROPOLITAN AREAS. HEAT INDEX READINGS WILL NOT DROP BELOW 80 DEGREES TONIGHT IN SOME OF THE WARMER LOCATIONS.
Problem is, you get out on the pavement, and come to a stop at a red light (no problem for MB1), and sit among 20 cars all spewing heat, and that 105-112 turns into 120, and no air. It's killer.

On top of the heat, half the state is burning down, and it always seems that the smoke gets blown into the central valley, where it stays.

Do they make an A/C with carbon filtration system for bikes?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Fixed said:
I
Problem is, you get out on the pavement, and come to a stop at a red light (no problem for MB1), and sit among 20 cars all spewing heat, and that 105-112 turns into 120, and no air. It's killer.
My biggest problem this time of year too.....I love riding in 100+ heat..I just hate stopping in it....

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
You're exporting your burnt stuff to us!

I'm on the other side of the hill but the smoke and heat is bad over here. 100 degrees with 2 mile visibility today. It got worse as the sun set. My lungs and nose are throwing a tantrum right now.

Normally I have a terrific view of the Sierras from my back porch. The Sierras are still there but the view sure isn't.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Just so you know......

When I lived out on your coast there was no way I would run a red light.

And I do remember how hot the pavement and air felt at red lights.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nonetheless

MB1 said:
Just so you know......

When I lived out on your coast there was no way I would run a red light.

And I do remember how hot the pavement and air felt at red lights.
Nonetheless, it's the only thing I can think of to pick on you about, so I'm not about to let it go. ;-)

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Anymore, the dog days of summer are some of my least enjoyable riding days. I would rather do 30 miles in 40 degrees than 30 miles in 90 degrees with high humidity.

I went out this morning and it was miserable. It was an A ride and they think they have to go flat out no matter what the temp.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
That's why I love the weather here near SF. In the winter it only drops to about 30 degrees F at the lowest and in the summer it never goes much above 85 and when it does it's only for a few days at a time. Last month it hit 92 in SF and that's about as high as we will see for the rest of the year, probably. It doesn't get humid here, neither, so it's just really nice most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.