Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before you get hit when you (a) commute every day and (b) are a plaintiffs' personal injury attorney (insert cheers from crowd).

The most important thing is that the bike seems fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have to ask ...

..if you're alright. That's the most important thing IMO.

I'm glad the bike seems OK too...

Bob

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indyfan said:
..if you're alright. That's the most important thing IMO.

I'm glad the bike seems OK too...

Bob
The diagnosis is shoulder strain and hand contusion. Kinda funny that I was thinking about riding in today sans helmet...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If you commute all the time I guess it is inevitable. I got "bumped" several times while commuting in Norfolk, but I never got hit squarely. In Hawaii, the drivers seemed more considerate, especially since my commute was so constant. I saw the same drivers everyday and would often have conversations with them at lights. They saw me as a human and not just "a guy on a bike".

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Glad to hear you mostly ok...

How did the driver act? Out of curiosity?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going down a steep hill in my neighborhood. At the bottom of the hill is a perpendicular street with two stop signs. I had the right of way. I usually slow a bit when approaching for just this reason. But it looked like the driver on my right was waiting for me. I was deceived. Actually, he hadn't seen me and entered the intersection. I couldn't stop in time and hit the side of his car at about 15-20 mph and ultimately the tarmac (well, broken up pieces of concrete around here).

The guy stopped and was appropriately apologetic.

Like bigbill says, smart money in Vegas says you're going to get dinged eventually if you commute by bike regularly. Now my bloody bartape marks a rite of passage.

At least the nurse at the hospital was smokin' hot...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
You know, it's funny that you post about this. I commuted today (normal 43 mile round trip) and a car pulled out into an intersection in front of me. Similar to your situation, they had a stop sign, I didn't. I just flicked the bike to the right and scooted behind the car and never touched my brakes. When I looked back, the guy had just stopped in the middle of the intersection. I think he realized how close he came to hitting me. It was dark and I had my HID headlight on, he had to see me. Over the years I have had so many close calls that as long as I didn't actually get hit, I just roll on.

I am so due.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yikes! Well, since you ended up with bloody bar tape for a souvenier and were attended by a smokin nurse, I guess you got something good from the deal.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Glad you are mostly OK. I had the same thing happen yesterday, except I had the right-of-way (no stop sign) while car crossing the street had to stop. They pulled out right in front of me, but fortunately I was making a right turn at that intersection anyway, so no collision. However, if I had been going straight, it would have been a different story. I am much more worried about cars pulling out of side streets and backing out of driveways than I am about getting hit from behind, which most cyclists seem to worry the most about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts