Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment last week for the dr. and I ended up seeing her yesterday.

I made the appointment because at the time I had a sore throat that'd been with me for about a week. By the time I went in to see my dr, it seemed to have moved from my throat to my stomach. She said that infections can move around like that.

She looked in my throat and saw that my tonsils were larger than she'd have liked and guessed that I had a bacterial infection in my throat that then progressed down in to my guts. The past week I've had bubble guts and just about anything I ate upset my stomach, but it seems to be going away.

She gave me a prescription for some stuff to help my stomach and she also gave me some antibiotics. I don't remember the name of them, but it's a 5 day course of them. I'm generally paranoid about antibiotics, but I'm taking these.

So they called me back today to tell me that they wanted me to go in for a CT Urogram, which they had to explain to me what it was, because when I peed in the cup there was apparently blood in my urine. I noticed that when I peed in the cup that my pee was darker than usual... I drink water 99% of the time, aside from a cup or two of coffee in the AM, and I've been cutting back on that a lot. My pee is more or less clear almost all the time and I'd noticed the last two or three days it had some color to it, and today it seemed to be getting colorless again (all you ever wanted to know about my pee! yay!)

The woman on the phone (not my dr) told me that it's probably nothing at all, that they see it a lot but that they just wanted to be certain.

I started looking it up online and it seems that having a throat infection (my dr. thinks I had a mild case of strep throat) can often result in having bloody pee a few weeks later, so I'm guessing that's what it it. If It's not that then I'm not sure what it is... kidney stones? kidney disease? diabetes? Who knows... guess that's why they want to check me out.

I haven't been to the dr. in a long time because I didn't have insurance for a long time. And it just freaked me out when they called me back the next day.

I don't know why I tell you all of this. But who else am I to tell?

joe

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Relax...

Creepy is when they call back late on a Friday night with slurred speech and fond memories.

This just is what it is. Prolly nothin'. If it happens to be sumpin', better to know than not.

And take your anitbiotics. All of them. On schedule. It's only lazy, half-hearted, 'well, I'm feeling better so I won't bother' use that should scare ya.

Gotta say, I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with a female doc. At least not for the turn and cough bits. Though having said that, a male doc doesn't sound like a much better solution.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I had bloody pee for about a week. Conveniently, I was really poor and only had major med insurance with the help of my parents. After paying for a bunch of tests, it just went away and they found nothing. No infections during that, only thing I could figure out was that I was organizing the warehouse at the music store I worked at and must have pulled a muscle down there. Pretty cool trick at a public urinal though. :eek:

Have her re-inspect your tonsils. With her tongue.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Back in January when all my problems started, I had 5 different wimminz with their hands on my junk, in a span of 5 days. And none of them were hookers, which is why I felt it worth mentioning.

Sadly, none of them have returned my calls.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Dear Lawnje:

I have now made seven requests for a prostate exam by my hawt doc. She seems to be reluctant. How can I convince her?

--Joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
danl1 said:
Gotta say, I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with a female doc. At least not for the turn and cough bits. Though having said that, a guy doc doesn't seem like a much better.

She's been my doc since I was in high school. And when I go in to the doctors office I lose all sense of shame. I figure that if I can and should tell anyone anything and everything, it should be my doctor.

joe

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Callbacks from the Docs office are never a Calgon affair. You're a young man so chances are highly in your favor that it's nothing. Follow along like a good lemming and get it checked out and report back. We're all breathlessly waiting the pics. No pics? Didn't happen.

Edit: BTW, how much more can you cut back when you only drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day? Geez, what a piker.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Joe, it is only creepy if you go in for a rectal exam and your doctor has both his hands on your shoulders for it. NTTAWWT.

Did they draw any blood and see what your kidney functions are? Just wondering? Where is OEH, kidneys are her specialty.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
You should be glad that you have such a diligent and attentive doctor!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I've gotten very used to it at this point. I'm tired of the calls and tired of the docs. My stomach and guts have been on fire for a couple of days now (hopefully something like you've got so it'll go away on its own) but I'm back to the Dr. tomorrow. Now heading into four months of this stuff I'm getting a little bored with it.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jupiterrn said:
Joe, it is only creepy if you go in for a rectal exam and your doctor has both his hands on your shoulders for it. NTTAWWT.

Did they draw any blood and see what your kidney functions are? Just wondering? Where is OEH, kidneys are her specialty.

They took about 4 things of blood for various tests. I don't believe that any were specific for kidneys.

joe

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Better to be safe.....and don't "borrow" trouble by worrying too much.

Lucky to have a good doc.

len

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
All I know is you never want a proctoligist to say "hey, that is a big one"

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Len J said:
Better to be safe.....and don't "borrow" trouble by worrying too much.

Lucky to have a good doc.

len

I'm not too worried about it right now. I remember peeing in the cup and thinking "wtf did I drink?"

I stood there in the bathroom for a good two minutes just thinking if I'd drank anything other than water in the past 10 or 12 hours. I had a swig of carrot juice after I'd gotten home at about 6pm the previous day, and that's usually good for a little color, but I dind't drink much of it, not enough to make it the color it was, and it had proably made its way through me by 10:30 or so that morning when I'd peed in the cup.

The day or two leading up to that I'd noticed that it was darker than usual, but for some reason, yesterday at the dr's office, it was as dark as it's ever been.

Today things seem to be toning down. My stomach is also settling. So I'm feeling better and things look better. It's just always a little scary, I think, when getting tests done by the dr.

I get anxious waiting for things I buy off eBay to ship to me... wtf would I want to wait even longer for results from a dr's lab?

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
is it hard to zipper back up now that your arm has been amputated?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
They took about 4 things of blood for various tests. I don't believe that any were specific for kidneys.

joe

Yeah, I am pretty sure if they drew that amount of blood, they will be looking at some kidney functions, also liver and a few of the other basics. Nothing to worry about.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chain said:
All I know is you never want a proctoligist to say "hey, that is a big one"

She also recommended that, because of my family history, I get a colonoscopy done again. Haven't had one of those in a while.... fun!

*Also* she wants me to get my gallbladder ultrasounded, as that can be the cause of a lot of stomach problems, I guess.

joe

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
docs and their tests. :rolleyes:

harken back to my thread where I ended up diagnosing my own illness after 3 docs couldn't figure it out. and I correctly named the correct treatment, though it took an MD to administer it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.