Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Basic red blinkies are incredibly cheap. Get a bunch of them. Use them. Plural. (Because the battery always dies at the wrong time)

2) Front white lights are very cheap and small also "to be seen" or you could just mount a red one on your bars. In my experience most night time car near-collisions happen from the front, because at night the car drivers are expecting to see a pair of headlights. Anything you can do to enhance your visibility from the front is good. More is better. Again, backups / redundancy.

3) reflecto gear is underrated. Get some of those ankle strap thingies, they are so cheap, light, and very eye catching due to the movement.

Also, check into the line of apparel and accessories by ProViz.

http://tinyurl.com/jnsvdgp > I have no affiliation, just a happy customer

I have several of their products and they are ASTONISHINGLY BRIGHT in car headlights. I have had motorists come to a complete stop when they see me. Vest, legwarmers, shoe covers, gloves, armwarmers, etc. SURFACE AREA is the name of the game here.

Be safe out there... every winter I see riders wearing all black ("because it looks cool") with a tiny single red blinky, riding in heavy traffic. Dude, you are NOT visible and your safety depends on a distracted driver seeing you.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I've got lots. Mostly good advice here, except this
or you could just mount a red one on your bars
In many states it's illegal to have a red light on the front of a vehicle. Red is for the back, and a red light in front can confuse viewers about which way you're going.

·
Registered
760 Posts
... every winter I see riders wearing all black ("because it looks cool") with a tiny single red blinky, riding in heavy traffic. Dude, you are NOT visible and your safety depends on a distracted driver seeing you.

Not I because:

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power, Red Orfos' light!!!"

·
Registered
396 Posts
Going on year 2 with my Cygolites (both head and tail), have a jacket with reflective trimmings and my REI ankle straps. Now I'm trying to imagine how bright I would be if I got a new set of Cygolites every year to complement my last set :D

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I bought a whack of the superbright rear blinkies on ebayfor like $4 each. These are just as bright as the $40 lights I bought a while back - now at $3usd, LOL. They provide good daytime visibilty to cars, and blindingly bright at night. on 2 AAA Cycling Night Super Bright Red 2 LED Rear Tail Light Bike Bicycle Safety Light | eBay

Have a ~1500ish lumen Magicshine headlamp - but mostly for mtn biking as that is too bright for the road. cost maybe $150, but then I bought a ebay copy of this light for $35 incl lipo - hyper lights are very inexpensive now.

A wee wee Cygolite Dash 350 which is maybe my favourite versatile light 350 lumen max. minmalist but good enough for road headlight, and also tried it last night as a mtn bike helmet light and it was good for that too (w magishine on the bars). I often throw it on a road bike when I am not sure if my ride will end by sundown or not. use as a camping flashlight, etc. but only a bit over hour at full bright, maybe 10 hours on blinking

Just ordered a new H7Lenser 7.R2 a 300 lumen light which I am going to make into quick on/off helmet light for mountain bike, and maybe some road riding. supposedly gets 6 hours run time at full brightness ... and features a built in red rear light on the battery pack. I like how the light is low profile on the helmet as I often am whacking branches and almost snapping my neck on the trail using a tall bulky helmet light H7R.2 Flashlight - LED LENSER

I bought a few of these tiny dual blinkies for the road bike helmet - so minimalist I leave it on there all year, and cost maybe $5. it puts out white in front, red in back on the top of the helmet. not much bigger than an eraser or a date, and serves as adequate to be seen and legal - the light up high blinking is more visible than when you mount them on the bike imho. But I also have the superbright flashers on the rear of the bike

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
cool!

link a source for those?

I bought some white LED headlamps for tent camping, got creative with a ziptie and its a helment lamp.
Cycling Bicycle Super Bright 4 LED Safety Rear Light Lamp for Bike Helmet Arm | eBay

Cycling Bicycle Super Bright 4 LED Safety Rear Light Lamp for Bike Helmet Arm | eBay

I just attach it with adhesive velcro.

This light is not bright for being seen in daytime. But at night it is uber visible.

I just made a youtube of it in action

https://youtu.be/WCWaB9s663w

·
Registered
525 Posts
Prior to my retirement, I rode at night in Winter a lot so that I could get my miles.

I asked a local cop about my visibility at night. He complimented me on my multiple rear blinkies (2 Plant Bike SuperFlash + Cygolite HotShot). Also I wore a hi-viz yellow construction worker vest with the sliver reflective bars. He told me that the vest REALLY caught his attention.

I'm now using my HotShot more and more on daytime rides.

Good thread, Creaky!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
those look really visible

yeah reflective stuff on the legs and feet are extremely noticeable.

I also had some Conti TouringII tires on for a year with a reflective sidewall which also was very noticeably bright from the side when lit by car headlight. but .. heavy tires

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I agree with everything here except mounting a red light on your bars. Red lights are tail lights, white lights are head lights. Not a good idea to mix them up.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I've got lots. Mostly good advice here, except this

In many states it's illegal to have a red light on the front of a vehicle. Red is for the back, and a red light in front can confuse viewers about which way you're going.

I believe it is also illegal to have a white light in the back. White is for front, red is for rear.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Just hoping that the current ultra-blinding trend dies down a bit. Car headlights and now bike lights are TOO bright.

"But you can't be too visible on your bike," sure you can, this can invite target fixation. Also, you don't want drivers to be blinded as well as distracted.

I try to angle the headlamp down to the street a bit so it's not directly in the drivers' eyes.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I use a red blinker for the rear and put my white front light on flashing mode. My panniers thankfully have reflective panels on them, and I also placed yellow reflective 3M tape on my crank arms, handlebars, stem, and the front/rear of my helmet.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Just hoping that the current ultra-blinding trend dies down a bit. Car headlights and now bike lights are TOO bright.

"But you can't be too visible on your bike," sure you can, this can invite target fixation. Also, you don't want drivers to be blinded as well as distracted.

I try to angle the headlamp down to the street a bit so it's not directly in the drivers' eyes.

Personally, I think this idea of target fixation is way overblown. You are vastly better off being seen than not seen.

However, I do agree about tilting your headlamp slightly downward - especially if you are riding with others.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
For road use I don't think more is better when it comes to either lights or power. Better to have a quality, reliable front and rear light with good beams. I have a Cygolite 600 that I flash in the morning and run low or medium beam in the evening -- high annoys drivers. Has survived four years of either falling out of its mount because I didn't secure it or just being dropped. It's mounted at the fork crown where the Lord, er, Peter White intended. Rear light is a Cateye (Rapid 5 or LD610) on both my bikes.

This setup works well for me. I'm eventually going to a dynamo, but not $oon.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I have a Cygolite 600

I have the Cygolite 800. Great light that I usually use in flash mode. The only thing I don't like about this light is its tendency to shift left and right so easily. I tighten the screw down every so often, but it soon loosens again. Maybe I should try putting some chewing gum or Tanglefoot where it mounts. :D

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Most of my rides are in the dark (5:30am-7:15) and use an 800 Lumen Cygolite. It's perfect for that use.

I'd like to find a lighter/smaller white blinky for weekend daylight rides. Any suggestions?

I use the same red blinky out back for dark and daylight rides.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Personally, I think this idea of target fixation is way overblown. You are vastly better off being seen than not seen.

However, I do agree about tilting your headlamp slightly downward - especially if you are riding with others.
Around here, anyway, seems like when somebody's hit by a driver, it had less to do with visibility, and more to do with driver error. But in the dark, definitely helps to be seen.

Also don't want it to turn into a battle of lumens. You look at a super-bright light, your night vision is trashed when the light moves away. Repeat.

Just as people drive bigger and bigger cars to be "safe," I suspect we now have to run brighter lights since nobody has night vision anymore.

I do like the idea of reflective stuff, though. My red blinkies keep falling off.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts