Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today at lunch getting in a midday ride, against my better judgment. When it's this hot, it's just plain old miserable outdoors on a bike. However, I got in too late from work last night and didn't want to get up early to ride, and it usually comes a tropical storm in the evening hours following work, so I needed mileage. Stats at time of ride:

11:30 am CDT
Ride Time: 1 hr, 39 min.
Temp: 96f
RH: 58%
Winds: huh?
Conditions: Sunny with high clouds

Overall, 31 miles of misery at 18mph avg. Went through three bottles, frozen, in an hour and 40 minutes.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
It's 100 here in Austin in the early evenings, too. Right now it's 97 out.

It seems like I've gotten used to it though.

I do try to add miles to my morning ride when it's much cooler rather than trying to get an extra ride in in the evenings when it's still 95 after the sun has gone down. It's about the only thing that gets me up earlier than I absolutely have to.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
Since thursday, its been brutal in NJ also. Temps in high 90's, Humidity at 60%ish. I find that the first ride is usually the miserable one, then its no problem.
For me, the trick is to drink as much water before the ride as possible. Only parts that are uncomfortable is the first 10 minutes, waiting at lights without any shade, and when the foam doohickies in my helmet get saturated with persperation and leak down my face...
Theres a strange sense of pride when people roll down their windows and tell me I'm nuts...

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
You guys need to complain about the humidity, not the temperature. It's 94 and 13% RH here now. I rode earlier in the day when it was a little hotter but with a lower RH. The sweat evaporation kept me comfortable.

· Registered
92 Posts
south fla.

its hot here too but its normal not many people ride from 11 am to 3 pm. from june to early oct. daytime temps 88-92 humidity 60-70% heat index around 100-105. the lows arent much better around 80 and 70-90% humidity

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Be happy you're able to ride...

In Southern Ontario we are in the midst of one of our wettest spring and summer in a number of years. I have lost count of the amount of times I've gotten drenched on the bike. Actually it's rained everyday since this past Saturday and I'm once again sitting here listening to the sound of rain bouncing off the skylights at the office...

This is sad, I might actually have to break out the trainer just to keep myself sane...

· Registered
43 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
Same here in Oklahoma...
Yea, hotter than hell, but I've gotten used to it. Besides, when I go out to ride at my local spot in OKC, no one else is stupid enough to be out in the heat, so I have the lane all to myself!

· Registered
42 Posts
I lost over 5 pounds in 1.5 hours

hiah said:
Yea, hotter than hell, but I've gotten used to it. Besides, when I go out to ride at my local spot in OKC, no one else is stupid enough to be out in the heat, so I have the lane all to myself!
The Norman OK rides are brutal enough, add the heat at or above 100 degrees and you may be asking for trouble. I lost that much weight last Thursday. I remember one ride I weighed in 10 pounds lighter in an hour or so, when the heat was 112. Misery, no suffering, just misery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.