Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Little things make a BIG difference in Winter...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

Good lights, disc brakes, fenders with real mudflaps, simple shifters, studded tires... the results can be beautiful...

Happy New Year to all... Keep on riding and Be Well...

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I beg to differ regarding my white balance... I haven't fallen off my bike all Winter!

I think that's pretty good balance in the white! :D

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mosovich said:
Can we see a total picture of the bike?
Sure...Poprad disc built for bad weather and kid trailer tow duty.

singlecross

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
u folks that ride in the snow amaze me, thanks for the post!

I had my first sub freezing temp commute today in Central FL and everyone here thinks i'm absolutely crazy. Found a brand new set of neoprene toe covers i didnt know i had in my shed this morning so I must be livin right;)

//what area u riding in singlecross?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rear blinky is one of these:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/FNU115/

I got a couple of them free at a outdoor trade show as samples and they have been great for the past two years that I have used them. Very small, light, and bright with a good clip and burn time.

The rear reflective triangle was a LBS purchase... I don't remember the brand... maybe Aardvark?

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gutfiddle said:
//what area u riding in singlecross?
Downeast Maine...

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Your winter bike is prettier than mine :(

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
down?

singlecross said:
I beg to differ regarding my white balance... I haven't fallen off my bike all Winter!

I think that's pretty good balance in the white! :D

singlecross
I was going to ask, for those who ride in snow, how often do you go down?

I think I'd pick snow versus our 35 degree thick fog and drizzle here in the winter. Can't see 50 feet sometimes. Need great lighting, but no studs. ;-)

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Literally never, with my studded tires. My issue is early in the season I usually crash out on some black ice or heavy frost--- on otherwise clear roads--- well before the snow arrives. And I agree--- snow is generally dry riding. We usually have rain the entire month of November-- and that is miserable to ride in.

Fixed said:

I think I'd pick snow versus our 35 degree thick fog and drizzle here in the winter. Can't see 50 feet sometimes. Need great lighting, but no studs. ;-)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fixed said:

I go down probably once every other year in winter. Usually it's when I get my tires cross threaded in some of the ruts that form when cars pack down our wet snow and those ruts freeze before the plow has made it's rounds. Or early season before I've put my studs on and the temps are are low enough to freeze the dew on the road in the morning.

singlecross

1 - 17 of 17 Posts