Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lousylegs said:
Alex's dress up thread got me thinking.

Right now, I ride a frame that I paid $60 bucks for on ebay, and while it is a decent frame, I am jonesing for something better (and yes, you can skip the "be happy with what you got" stuff).

I need suggestions for money making ideas - (no cage fighting, selling of plasma, or marrying J's).
Las Vegas? ;)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

Right now, I ride a frame that I paid $60 bucks for on ebay, and while it is a decent frame, I am jonesing for something better (and yes, you can skip the "be happy with what you got" stuff).

I need suggestions for money making ideas - (no cage fighting, selling of plasma, or marrying J's).

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
yes, yes, i know, i know. there's a job out there, i just wanted some worthwhile suggestions in the mean time.

Anyone know away around the ban on selling organ's on ebay?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
lousylegs said:
yeah, when you have luck, i couldn't even win in LV on a ... um, well, never mind.
Well, you might actually go and get a job for this one. ;) ;) ;)

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
lousylegs said:
yeah, when you have luck, i couldn't even win in LV on a ... um, well, never mind.
i know a guy who lost 700 bucks in vegas. 700 is alot for someone who has a job and goes to work every day, but for a kid in college its unimaginable to be out that much.

i say you should sell your body to science.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
lousylegs said:

You want to waste some time... try this: http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Get a fake ID

Get library cards for everywhere in the area. Check out all the expensive coffee table books. Whack them on Ebay.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
what the first live cadaver, gee thanks alot, that could be really painful.

But then again it might look cool

:D

Not sure what my wife would say.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
lousylegs said:
what the first live cadaver, gee thanks alot, that could be really painful.

But then again it might look cool

:D

Not sure what my wife would say.
i went to the exhibit that your picture is from. it was actually really cool except people were touching the dead people which was kinda gross. i dont think they realized they were real. some of the stuff was kinda creepy though, like they had a real brain that you could touch.

ps. what kind of bike/frame are you lusting for?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
yarble said:
i went to this thing. it was actually really cool except people were touching the dead people which was kinda gross. i dont think they realized they were dead bodies.
how exactly could they not tell?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Get library cards for everywhere in the area. Check out all the expensive coffee table books. Whack them on Ebay.
That's a great idea, but it might not fly with my wife the librarian.

Though they did just bust someone down here for taking books on tape to the flea market and trying to sell them.

also, they once found a really cheesy 1980s teen love story on the shelves of the library that copies of it were selling on ebay for over $300.

The library wrote to the author (some british lady) and she sent them a signed copy back.

I keep telling my wife to steal it.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
lousylegs said:
how exactly could they not tell?
they looked totally fake. whatever they did to preserve them made them kind of look like plastic. i think the reason it wasnt overly creepy is because it looked fake. they did some pretty wild stuff too, like take all the skin/muscles off and only show the nervous system.

one of the parts that grossed me out was when they did a "half and half". they did one half of this old guy just muscles, and the other half normal. the muscle part looked fake, but the real part was really creepy with the body hair and closed eyes/facial expression.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Lousy,
Do you have a lot of gear lying around? I almost always raise a little cash selling old cycling, climbing and, in general, outdoor gear. Or what about having a bazaar? We do one or two a year and sell everything from clothes we haven't worn in ages (which admittedly usually ends up a the Red Cross Store) to old toys, CDs, and kitchen appliances. It's also a great way to clean out the house. Out with the old, in with the new :). What do you want to buy anyway?
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
No, not much, at least not stuff that I could sell for any profit.

I would love a Pegoretti, but I think that a Burley frame would be more in line with what I need/want. Nice steel, pretty light, good quality tubes that would last me several years and I could transfer most of my components over.

Right now I have a "fake" Peugoet from Canada. It is fine for a $60 frame (probably a good deal really), but is quite heavy, and so I am looking for something a little lighter and more in line with racing.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
yarble said:
they looked totally fake. whatever they did to preserve them made them kind of look like plastic. i think the reason it wasnt overly creepy is because it looked fake. they did some pretty wild stuff too, like take all the skin/muscles off and only show the nervous system.

one of the parts that grossed me out was when they did a "half and half". they did one half of this old guy just muscles, and the other half normal. the muscle part looked fake, but the real part was really creepy with the body hair and closed eyes/facial expression.
They actually plasticize the bodies. One of our patients at the ortho I used to work for brought us a book showing the method and it had photos of all the exhibit pieces...my favorites are the cyclis* and the soccer player. I would really like to see this exhibit. Oh yeah, the horse and rider is pretty cool, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts