Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The present doping controls have proven to be worthless. The plethora of riders found to be doping in Spain have (with few exceptions) all passed every drug test.

The UCI and WADA should ban all IV administration to athleletes. Ban the post ride fluid replacement through an IV. Only allow the use of a needle for vacinations and hospitalizations, and then prohibit competition for 4 weeks as a safety measure. Any evidence of needle marks should be considered justification for banning. Team doctors should be banned. All medical care during races is to be provided by doctors employed by the UCI. WADA and the UCI should offer large rewards for anyone providing evidence of doping by a licenesed rider.

The doping problem has to have been covered up by riders who don't dope and the team managers. The team mates of the dopers have to know what the others are doing as do alot of the support staff. Team management has to be made responsible. If management has any suspesions of doing on the team, they must take action. If a team member is found to have doped while on the team, the management must be suspended along with the rider. Management is not to be suspended if they are the ones who found the problem and reported it.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
steps being taken already

T-Mobile has already taken a strong step by suspending their director, Pevenage. Clearly the Spanish authorities provided documents that linked him beyond a doubt (as they've said) to Fuentes. The pressure has to come from these sponsors to hold their team management responsible-you can imagine what the situation is like today for T-Mobile public relations people-it's really hitting the fan. Festina is still recovering.

Sponsors need to have morality clauses in the contracts with riders and management (maybe they already do) and go after them in civil court when these revelations come up and hit them hard, both to retreive salaries and for damage to the company's reputation. You can bet if management and riders feel this pressure it would stop pretty quick...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts
stevesbike said:
You can bet if management and riders feel this pressure it would stop pretty quick...
Nope.

How many of these riders weren't caught in tests? None of those caught were apparently so scared of being banned from their profession (for a few years), that they wouldn'tdope. So long as they don't get caught through doping tests, it will continue to be a part of the game methinks.

Making a bigger deal about preventative doping controls will only make the scandals that much more of an attention getter, rather than the racing itself.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Lifetime bans and million dollar penalties.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I finally found it...

Room 1201 said:
Nope.

How many of these riders weren't caught in tests? None of those caught were apparently so scared of being banned from their profession (for a few years), that they wouldn'tdope. So long as they don't get caught through doping tests, it will continue to be a part of the game methinks.
I always wondered about doping--whether the benefits were mostly just another of those weird superstitions pro riders seem plagued with. LA himself kind of poo poo'ed the whole thing.

Then a friend of mine pointed me in the right direction: 1972 re blood doping only (no fancy drugs, which I suppose didn't exist yet.) Overnight 23% increase in time to exhaustion/9% increase in V02max.

Can you imagine if you rode with your friends on Saturday and then they doped before you went out on Sunday? 23 freakin' percent?

It makes me think of an interview with Andy Hamsten where he said he discovered that despite having the best power numbers in his career, he suddenly found himself getting ridden off by the domestiques.

How do you compete with that?

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
wyomingclimber said:
I always wondered about doping--whether the benefits were mostly just another of those weird superstitions pro riders seem plagued with. LA himself kind of poo poo'ed the whole thing.

Then a friend of mine pointed me in the right direction: 1972 re blood doping only (no fancy drugs, which I suppose didn't exist yet.) Overnight 23% increase in time to exhaustion/9% increase in V02max.

Can you imagine if you rode with your friends on Saturday and then they doped before you went out on Sunday? 23 freakin' percent?

It makes me think of an interview with Andy Hamsten where he said he discovered that despite having the best power numbers in his career, he suddenly found himself getting ridden off by the domestiques.

How do you compete with that?

take dope

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.