Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I mean it. It's cold. It snows. Cycling?

I'm going on the rollers tonight.
Then the next day, hopefully I'll play outdoor hockey, the next is a gym day.
Then Hockey game. Then friday is rest (beer day).
Saturday and sunday: mileage on x-country ski.

What do you do?

·
Registered
353 Posts
tempeteOntheRoad said:

What do you do?
It's been too cold in Monteal recently to ride. Finally the cold broke & a ton of snow fell, now it's too dangerous. It has been warm these past few days & the city crews have done a splendid job of cleaning the streets. I will make an attempt to go riding this weekend, even if for 30 minutes. The down side of rding in this weather is the amount of gunk that will be stuck on the bike & eventually melt in the garage.
As for exercise, the local gym is the best place for a workout. No matter how hard I try, I can't sit on those exercise bikes. Not to mention the boredom, the industrial "seats" are absolutely horrendous, if there was ever a case of getting impotence while riding, it will be on one of these things. I play ball hockey (defense) in winter, not good enough ice skater to even want to try & then the cost of equipment.... So, I spend 2hrs every Sunday AM chasing a little orange ball around (cardio).
Beer Night is Friday & Saturday at a local sports/pool bar, I only have 1 beer each evening & kick back to watch the games.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Racing DVDs and the rollers...

tempeteOntheRoad said:

What do you do?
Managing to do my long outings Sundays on XC skis, great here in Ottawa with Gatineau Park so close by. I almost went out (fenders now on the cross bike) yesterday as it was warm enough, but I'd run out of sunlight! Soon, will be outside if it is -5C or better.

Three sessions per week on the rollers, I am two months ahead of last year by the amount of intervals I've done.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A fellow ball hockey player

zeego said:
Hi Arctic Hawk. Where do you play indoor hockey? Do you need another player?
Unfortunately, we do not need another player. we are 18 guys, all friends, of which 2 are goalies & we breakup into 2 teams allowing 4 on 4 play, with full line changes. I know how difficult it is as a single player to get on a team, competitive or otherwise, as I used to play competitive C with Concordia summer league.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Fenders on cross bike

Spunout said:
Managing to do my long outings Sundays on XC skis, great here in Ottawa with Gatineau Park so close by. I almost went out (fenders now on the cross bike) yesterday as it was warm enough, but I'd run out of sunlight! Soon, will be outside if it is -5C or better.

Three sessions per week on the rollers, I am two months ahead of last year by the amount of intervals I've done.
I never took the tail fender off my cross bike when I raced with you guys on the OBC cross series. I hope to be in a few more this season with you fellows.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hockey in Montreal

Please check this out: this is our team. Guess which player I am! It's in french, but I know you'll get it. http://www.cam.org/~pitlam/

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just recently found a good indoor public swimming pool here in Toronto (The beaches to be specific) Alternating with roller sessions on tues-wed-thurs-fri depending on what I feel like doing or have time for.
I get out for a ride on saturdays if the roads are ok.. if not i hit the rollers.
Sunday nights are hockey game nights sometimes thursday or friday night shinny.
Mondays I hit the gym for leg weights.

Seems more ambitious then it actually is... That's just a guideline, I usually end up resting a couple days a week. I'm not really strict about it. Beer nights are appealing and I rarely deny myself the pleasure :)

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gatineau park, what a great place!

Keep an eye open for my friend François; a tall 6'4 slim guy, very strong skier! He tells me he started playing hockey with people from work (gov'nt jobs; is it work?).

He rides a yellow TCR or a grey covered-up Fisher mountain bike... except in the winter.

I love the Gatineau Park, for both mtb and x-c skiing. Such a proximity with the city, yet so much open wilderness at hand. Definitely a plus to the quality of living in the Ottawa region.

I make-do with the mount Royal in MTL...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
353 Posts
A fellow Montrealer!

tempeteOntheRoad said:
I make-do with the mount Royal in MTL...

Enjoy!
If you see a chinese guy on a blue Trek XO1 struggling up the Mt Royal, not today with the snow, but hopefully in March, please say 'Hi!" or "Pedal harder!"
I would say that most of the struggling will be from the Cote des Neiges side, coming from Ville St.Laurent, & the occaisional one from the the Plateau side.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep! Mont Royal et Ile Notre-Dame

All right! I'll see you.

My spring rides are almost exclusively on the flat; Christophe Colomb street to boulv. Gouin, then west towards Ile Bizard or aroud the west Island point.

Or just a few laps on the Gilles Villeneuve circuit. I usually get to start climbing after 1000 ks... Old knees and fat guts demand it.

I live in Rosemont.

·
Registered
353 Posts
tempeteOntheRoad said:
Please check this out: this is our team. Guess which player I am! It's in french, but I know you'll get it. http://www.cam.org/~pitlam/
I think I know which one you are. Pretty hard to miss I suppose! You guys play all year... Good stuff! I am only active with my friends during winter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not long now kids...

Don't ride much in the winter. You know the routine. Too cold. Snow. Ice. Winter. And I'm in the country here. Ride on the highway in winter, snow piled on the side of a road, a transport shoots by on either side, I bail out on the gravel, which really isn't gravel but a slick mix of hard snow and ice with the occasional frozen racoon speed bump. Instant crash. So I wait until a good thaw. Typically late Feb, early March.
Winter workout? A lot of gym time. No exercise bikes for me. There isn't a single one in my gym that even remotely approximates a biking setup. Maybe if I rode a recumbent... Lots of running on the mill. Ten minutes to start, lift, fifteen to twenty after, with at least five minutes of jacked up speed in the nine to ten mile per hour range, always interesting after a session of leg presses and extensions. Rest of my energy is taken up with chopping firewood.
I ski. Downhill. Going to Alberta next week. That XC skiing looks like rough work.
Had thought about a trainer, or rollers. New wheels this year though, and have tried to keep my annual winter purchasing freakout to a minimum.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Lol!

Farmpunker said:
That XC skiing looks like rough work.
It is really quite a brilliant workout. Very tough to keep it in your cycling zone 2 once you really get going.

BTW: I am referring to classic XC skiing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.