60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
They didn't lower or raise prices specifically, they made it so that the artist(label) could price their stuff from 0.70-1.30. Obviously we all know FloRida is worth the additional 30 cents... Atleast it'll all be DRM free soon.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cory said:
Didn't they just LOWER prices, or at least promise to, a month or so ago? I haven't downloaded anything in awhile, but I remember seeing that headline somewhere.
Screw it. i'm going to have my kids show me how to steal my music.
I just pay Rhapsody $14 a month to listen to whatever I want. Haven't bought a CD in over a year now.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
wtf is FloRida?

joe

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeDaddio said:
wtf is FloRida?

joe
Not really sure, but he seems to be big with the kiddos these days.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I believe they got it backwards personally. I would rather pay $1.30 for Sir Mix-a-Lot and pay $.70 for FloRida

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Not really sure, but he seems to be big with the kiddos these days.

this falls under Creaky's rule of music buying: if it's truly good, it'll still be good in 10 years. if it's pop carp it'll be forgotten.

so I only buy stuff that's stood the test of time, unless it's an artist with a long proven track record.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sad but true, theft is best if you don't want to deal with a bunch of CDs. I love iTunes because of the ways it lets me search and sort my music, but I'm not paying for mp3s with DRM when I can download higher quality lossless music free.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The new DRM-free music on itunes is supposed to have some super high quality format to it. Most of the music I look up now on itunes is DRM free.

The pricing structure is in direct response to the music industry. Artists like Kid Rock have openly said they will not put their music on any service that prices it the same as your neighbor's Garage Band mix. Kinda makes sense from that point of view.

I rarely buy single songs, so I rarely pay even close to $.99 anyway.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Creakyknees said:
CD's ftw baby. iTunes can DRM my tight butt.
Um. Isn't the price change part of Apple's concession to the record labels in exchange for the labels' allowing iTunes to get rid of DRM?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Some prices will go up, others will go down. And iTunes has been moving in the DRM-free direction for a while.

The problem with the rhapsody model is that you don't own any of that music. If rhapsody goes away (or you stop paying the subscription), so does all your music. And then your $14 per month doesn't seem so economical, doest it?

\\Former yahoo/rhapsody subscriber

·
Registered
229 Posts
Zune Pass

I hate to say it, since I'm no Micros**t fan, but the Zune Pass is a great deal. $15 a month for unlimited downloads (120GB if you have a 120GB Zune), and you get to keep 10 songs per month. You can have three Zunes and three computers on the same $15 a month account. Get three people to split it three ways, and there you go, $5 a month for more music than you can listen to in a year. .

Of course, you have to use a Zune....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brick Tamland said:
Some prices will go up, others will go down. And iTunes has been moving in the DRM-free direction for a while.

The problem with the rhapsody model is that you don't own any of that music. If rhapsody goes away (or you stop paying the subscription), so does all your music. And then your $14 per month doesn't seem so economical, doest it?

\\Former yahoo/rhapsody subscriber
I don't have a problem with subscription-based. I don't care if I own all the music. I get to check out new stuff and as long as I pay I can keep listening. Kinda like cable TV. You do have the option of buying songs for .99c each (or cheaper per album) if you want--then you can do whatever you want with them. So far have not seen the reason to do that since I either listen at home, via my computer or on my MP3--all things I can listen to the music without owning the songs. I believe you can have 2-3 MP3 players authorized per account.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I can't wait for a subscription service that will allow me to play all my music on all my devices without having to bother keeping things synced. Of course, it would require 'always-on' broadband at home, on my mobile and in my car. I don't need to own the music either, so long as I can listen to anything I want at any time and in any place.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jorbenweb said:
I can't wait for a subscription service that will allow me to play all my music on all my devices without having to bother keeping things synced. Of course, it would require 'always-on' broadband at home, on my mobile and in my car. I don't need to own the music either, so long as I can listen to anything I want at any time and in any place.
I can play mine on any computer, via my stereo using a wireless device (Roku) and also play on 2-3 MP3 players (that do require syncing at least every 30 days. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.