Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love watching the tour but I don't have the time to watch the entire broadcast. That's why I was stoked a few years ago when I stumbled across the British ITV channel. They do a nightly recap that's only about 45 minutes long. It's the perfect way to watch the tour (in my opinion).

Well I fired it up tonight only to find out they replaced Paul and Phil with two of their own guys. They weren't bad but they just weren't Paul and Phil. I know they aren't very well-liked by some, but I love them and had a hard time watching it without them.

Does anyone know of any other channel does a shortened, summary version of the stage? I know NBC sports does one, but it's still 2-3 hours long.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Used to enjoy P&P, but perhaps it's time for them to ride off into the sun.

Phil's missing a lot of calls these days, and often gets his facts wrong. IMHO, Paul doesn't add a lot to the broadcast, other than yelling out the crashes.

Yesterday Phil completely miss-called Cav's win, saying that we'd need to review the photo finish when Cav won by a country mile, showing Kittel a clean set of wheels.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
some like P&P. some do not. It has long been the case this sport needs a fitting pair to take their place, at least for the races they do not have time to call. Very rare to have such good elocution, comprehensibility and ability to generate excitement and interest in the viewer.

I have not heard a single english broadcast with color commentary pipes to match P&P. Sure, they are plenty with better knowledge and astuteness - but they are boring and irritating as F*ck to listen to. Like Sean Kelly, and Daniel Lloyd, Brian Smith, Anthony McCrossan, and Bobke - they have the voice for printed comic books. Better off STFU and get out of broadcasting imho.

I am kind of impressed by the color commentary of Robbie McEwan though. His voice carries, he is clear and comprehensible, and delivers a sense of the spectacle. and his knowledge and astuteness is very good.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Phil needs to be put out to pasture. I mean really. Andy Howes?

I like Maggie Backstedt's commentary. I also like Steve Schlanger.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm in the camp that Phil and Paul need to retire. I actually prefer listening to the Spanish language broadcast where I only semi understand what is being said to listening to Phil and Paul who don't seem to know what they are talking about a good bit of the time.
I do like Steve Schlanger although I'm not sure who to put with him.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
it's a really hard sport to do commentary - most of the time, not much is happening and the feed is constantly jumping around when there is action. The monitors in the commentary box are small, so I think Paul increasingly has problems with his eyesight and actually seeing what's going on (identifying riders etc.). FWIW, everyone I know who has met Paul and Phil at a race have said that they are exceedingly nice with fans and spend a lot of time interacting with them.

I think the bigger problem with the Tour is the lousy direction on the feed - NBC etc. get the same feed from French TV. Don't know why they don't use split screens like the Giro does or why French directors think it's more interesting to watch riders fall off the back than the pivotal move of the day up front. Today there was a lot of showing the rider coming in 2nd than the descent of the main contenders, which would have been much more dramatic.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Today there was a lot of showing the rider coming in 2nd than the descent of the main contenders, which would have been much more dramatic.
No kidding. I love watching decents to begin with so the coverage was really POing me that they weren't showing the decent. Yes this is the tv director not anyone in the broadcast booth. They have no control over that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Not Sean Kelly but the other guy from Eurosport is really good and think he would be great with Phil and Paul. He should do 70% of the commentary and Phil and Paul could tell us who is "in a spot of bother" and who is getting the most out of "their machine". Phil and Paul do a great job with pronunciation of names and places but that Eurosport guy has the best, love the way he speaks the names of the euro riders.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The ITV coverage is like the Cav show. God knows who they will focus on now LOL. Froome will never be quite british enough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Listening to Christian, Bob, Porino and Schlanger are like nails on a chalkboard to me. P&P might be not be the best, but in comparison to the American's, it's not even close.

That being said, all these guys are undeniably nice guys (some were good racers as well), and I appreciate their enthusiasm, but Bob is dingbat, VdV is a stammering mush mouth, etc...IMO, they are awful! Hate to say it, but BeIN sports has NBCsports over a barrel with regard to broadcasting prowess.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
342 Posts
On Sunday some dipshi* fan got hit and knocked down by a racer and phil was worried about the fan. phil needs to go.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Phil and Paul do a great job with pronunciation of names and places but that Eurosport guy has the best, love the way he speaks the names of the euro riders.
You have to be kidding me they are some of the worst with pronunciation, going so far as to continue to mis-pronounce names even after corrected.

·
Registered
29,592 Posts
Paul Sherwin needs to be put on permanent respite. I prefer listening to faux helicopter blades then his repetitive "fill ins" while Phil catches his breath. Frankly the NBC broadcast is so scripted it is boring.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mute the commentary and alternate Rush/Supertramp Cds.....Obviously prefer Supertramp on the flat stages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.