Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually it's a good thing.

Hail a few months back did enough damage to get new shingles put on the house.

A big truck just pulled up out front and they will be loading them on the roof in just a little while. It looks like they will be installing them next week.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Cool, your daughters mansion will be finished now also :).

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ridgetop said:
Cool, your daughters mansion will be finished now also :).
You laugh... the roofers are going to shingle both my shed and the new playhouse :thumbsup: That's why the playhouse roof is just covered with a tarp for now.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
That must have been some hail storm to damage those type of shingles. I was thinking they were concrete type and got shattered. Yikes.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridgetop said:
That must have been some hail storm to damage those type of shingles. I was thinking they were concrete type and got shattered. Yikes.
The hail was about a half an inch and really hard. It covered the street. It looked like it snowed.

Really weird sound. My wife and I were standing in the kitchen and it sounded like a semi was going 75 miles an hour down the street. We ran to the front door and a pickup was inching it's way down the street. The Hail would pop under the tires. It was freay loud.

We get hail quite often in the summer. It sucks if you get caught out on a ride.

We also seem to get enough damage every 15 years or so that is bad enough for a shingle replacement. I've been waiting since we bought the house to change the colors of the shingles. Now we will have a nice slate color. :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
10ae1203 said:
That truck there is a wonderful invention. I have carried a few shingles up ladders. Ain't no fun.
no joke....and I have a 12/12 and the ridge is 30 feet off the ground!

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I got re-shingled this spring. Gotta love the insurance company. I did an upgrade and had a couple of skylights installed at the same time.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shingles are going on the house today. It's going to be a busy and noisy street today. 3 houses on the street are all being done at the same time.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Don't tell me you're going to be one of those losers that lays shingles over shingles? I hate you. Don't call me when it's time for the tear off in 15 years.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
Don't tell me you're going to be one of those losers that lays shingles over shingles? I hate you. Don't call me when it's time for the tear off in 15 years.
Complete tear off and new drip edge and vents. The shingle mfg requires a tear off for the warranty. There are also a few soft spots in the roof that need new boards underneath. They are replacing those also.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
So is that just tar paper in the pixxor? It looks like shingles. It even looks like you can see the right edgeline of a ridgecap running up the hipped gable on the left. Get a new camera.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
So is that just tar paper in the pixxor? It looks like shingles. It even looks like you can see the right edgeline of a ridgecap running up the hipped gable on the left. Get a new camera.
Those are shingles in the picture. They delivered the new shingles on Friday.

They will tear off the old shingles and then work their way up to the top where the shingles are staged. This way they don't have to do the tear off before the shingles are delivered.

The roofer called just before lunch and said they were almost done with the tear off. They could finish today, but may need a couple hours tomorrow if they don't get it all done.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The neighbors behind us were sitting on their deck watching. I asked them how they liked the new look...:idea: ... They asked what color we were going to paint the house...:rolleyes:

One project always leads to another...:mad2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts