Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my B17 Champion Special from Wallbike today. Spoke with Bill there, and he was very helpful.

Oh, and naysayers be damned..........I ordered it in Honey. :)

Can't wait to see it in person and mount it on the ride! Thanks for all the input the other day!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
resistance is futile

post a pic if you have the means--would love to see it. and would most appreciate a ride report after suitable break-in period. congrats! (you have been assimilated.)

·
Banned
781 Posts
One thing for sure

Your ass will thank you.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Ditto

That's exactly what I put on my BRG Waterford, :)
Also am considering a brown Team Pro for my fixie project, which at the moment is adorned with a B17 off another bike.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
I've Got The Team Pro In Antique Brown --

TUT2222 said:
That's exactly what I put on my BRG Waterford, :)
Also am considering a brown Team Pro for my fixie project, which at the moment is adorned with a B17 off another bike.
It's a beauty. Very comfy. The color also takes on a really nice patina, and winds up looking very classy. The B.17 is the height of comfort, but the Team Pro is still dandy. Love them both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the finese. It's shorter than the brooks I had on my old bike in the 80's. I find it more comfortable with the nose tilted way up for some reason. I've been thinking about getting the b17 for my mountain bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has arrived!!

Just opened up the FedEx box, and there was the finest seat I've ever laid eyes on: Honey leather with copper plated rivets and rails. :) Even better in person than over the net!

My brain is telling me this is going to be like sitting on a solid piece of hickory. Let's hope not! My mindset is this will require the full Brooks break-in period: that way if it's comfortable right out of the box, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Going to take it home tonight, give it a coat of proofide, mount it on the bike and take it for a spin (trainer if it's raining).

Oh, and I'll post a pic or two!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Take It Out In The Rain!

just don't submerge it to 30 meters and it'll be fine. a little "weathering" gives these saddles character. don't be the one on the club ride with a grocery bag wrapped around your beautiful english saddle. mine have both been soaked through & through AND covered completely in mud and/or winter precipitation. and they're comfy, look great, and are holding up well. if on the other hand you don't want to get yourself rained on, that's another matter. :)

when i ordered my first brooks from wallbike, fedex took it from nawlins to portland oregon, then to my front porch in memphis. funny, as it probably went through the memphis hub twice between going completely across the country. hmmm...?

both my b17 narrow saddles felt like a cinderblock out of the box. through bill laine says they don't really break-in all at once, mine have seemed to do exactly that. right at around 600 miles. this probably depends a bunch on rider size and riding habits, though.

good luck! post a pic when you can!

-J

·
Registered
52 Posts
Avocet saddle cover

J's Haiku Shop said:
don't be the one on the club ride with a grocery bag wrapped around your beautiful english saddle.
-J
True that!

The Avocet saddle cover has a water resistant rubber coating, and fits perfectly on a B17. I'm about to cut holes in mine for the saddle bag loops, but otherwise it seems to be custom made for the B17.

I found another water resistant cover for my Swift, but can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only way I'm going to cover up this fine piece of English leather (NOT the cologne! :)) is with my backside.

I'm not too concerned with getting it wet, once I have a coat of Proofhide on it. I just prefer to NOT ride in the rain.

As for the cross-country Fedex delivery, count your lucky stars it didn't end up on a deserted island for 4 years with a FedEx exec! A Brooks might not float as well as a volleyball.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Brooks Swift with TI rails, the best darn seat I've ridden on in over 18 years!! Took about 400 miles to break in but about 800 to really feel good with no treatments to assist in the breakin time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
froze said:
Brooks Swift with TI rails, the best darn seat I've ridden on in over 18 years!! Took about 400 miles to break in but about 800 to really feel good with no treatments to assist in the breakin time.
Mine was the opposite. It felt fine until about 1000 miles. Then it hurt so bad I had to take time off of the bike.

I don't know, I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.

I read about how great Brooks saddles were for months before I reluctantly bought one, but now I am just disappointed.

Sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My other brooks was on a bike when I commuted and was in the weather all the time and was just fine. I did treat the leather like I would a hiking boot. Be careful not to over soften, I don't think the proofide will do that though.

My biggest problem when I first rode mine was that I slid around, and it was not back far enough or tilted the way I want. I got a new seatpost and it seems OK now. The finese is for women and is rather short, I could have done with a longer seat. It still feels hard but for some reason hasn't been uncomfortable, it seems to flex or something. I got it because the seats I was using got more uncomfortable the more I rode them, I think the padding compressed or something.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
As an owner of a B17, a B17n. a B66, B72, and a Team Professional, I'd have to say that the Team Pro is the most comfortable saddle (the B66 is awfully nice, but I doubt it would work well with the nose pointed downwards on a road bike). Black saddles always look a bit 'weathered' after a few years, but they do hide the nicks and scratches well. Still, nothing looks quite as nice as a honey Team Pro after it's been well used for a few years.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Sao said:
Mine was the opposite. It felt fine until about 1000 miles. Then it hurt so bad I had to take time off of the bike.

I don't know, I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.

I read about how great Brooks saddles were for months before I reluctantly bought one, but now I am just disappointed.

Sorry.
No reason to be sorry, everyone is different, but most tourist do ride on Brooks-the B17 seems to be the favorite with that crowd.

Have you tried the new saddle called the Flow? There are some folk swearing by it, with most saying they didn't even have to break it in and rode 100 miles first time out. I think this site has a test report on that saddle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
As an owner of a B17, a B17n. a B66, B72, and a Team Professional, I'd have to say that the Team Pro is the most comfortable saddle (the B66 is awfully nice, but I doubt it would work well with the nose pointed downwards on a road bike).

Then don't point the nose down! The nose on my finese is pointed way up. It looks like it would be uncomfortable but it's not. Not for me anyway I imagine the case might be different for a guy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
PmbH said:
True that!

The Avocet saddle cover has a water resistant rubber coating, and fits perfectly on a B17. I'm about to cut holes in mine for the saddle bag loops, but otherwise it seems to be custom made for the B17.

I found another water resistant cover for my Swift, but can't remember the brand off the top of my head.
Wallbike has Selle Italia covers that fit a Swift rather nicely.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts