Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...I'm pretty intrigued to see how he goes on May 9. This whole comeback thing is a bit like a chemistry experiment from school: you know how it's meant to turn out, but there's still every chance of a spectacular cock up.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a double post. It was not meant to be posted in the doping forum. Sorry. Please would one of the moderators delete this post. Thanks

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
gizzard said:
...I'm pretty intrigued to see how he goes on May 9. This whole comeback thing is a bit like a chemistry experiment from school: you know how it's meant to turn out, but there's still every chance of a spectacular cock up.
The only spectacular cock-up will be if he turns up a positive dope test, and even then it will have to be rock solid to really tarnish him in the eyes of the true believers.

Otherwise, he can't lose in the big picture.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
The only spectacular cock-up will be if he turns up a positive dope test, and even then it will have to be rock solid to really tarnish him in the eyes of the true believers.

Otherwise, he can't lose in the big picture.
Assuming he's not doping:lol: you don't think there might be a spectacular crack for him in the Giro or Tour?

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
His collarbone snap might prove to be a practical excuse for the Giro... and I think Contador will show him who's the deserved leader at the Tour, there is no way Lance will be faster than Alberto...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
His collarbone snap might prove to be a practical excuse for the Giro... and I think Contador will show him who's the deserved leader at the Tour, there is no way Lance will be faster than Alberto...

Lance has a "Ferrari" of an engine, even if people don't know about it. So, there's always a way. :D

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
lookrider said:
Assuming he's not doping:lol: you don't think there might be a spectacular crack for him in the Giro or Tour?
Even if he embarasses himself; he's old, he's been out of competition for 3 years, he's been injured, etc.

So in the big picture he loses nothing.

·
Banned
923 Posts
I wonder if that's why AFLD didn't pursue the testing violation - after all, what price a bona fide positive test (or series of tests) against a he said/he said situation?

I hear Don Catlin is collaborating with the AFLD...

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Even if he embarasses himself; he's old, he's been out of competition for 3 years, he's been injured, etc.

So in the big picture he loses nothing.

I'm not so sure. If the last image from his racing days is abandoning next to the Simpson memorial, or suffering a horrendous crack and missing the time cutoff it won't look good.

It's undeniable that the guy is a prideful, tough, bastard, which will only make his crack much worse. I don't see him giving up easy, and if he abandons in camera view it will be a perp walk type scene.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
"I'm not so sure. If the last image from his racing days is abandoning next to the Simpson memorial, or suffering a horrendous crack and missing the time cutoff it won't look good."

I just don't see anything that extreme happening even if he's racing clean. My personal expectation is that he will do O.K. but not be in podium contention.

"It's undeniable that the guy is a prideful, tough, bastard, which will only make his crack much worse."

Given all the recent indications that cycling might still be very much business as usual, I'd say the probability of him not racing clean is much higher than I thought when he first came back. If he's still up to the old tricks, it's game-on for both the dope testers and his podium prospects.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Catlin

Dwayne Barry said:
"I'm not so sure. If the last image from his racing days is abandoning next to the Simpson memorial, or suffering a horrendous crack and missing the time cutoff it won't look good."

I just don't see anything that extreme happening even if he's racing clean. My personal expectation is that he will do O.K. but not be in podium contention.

"It's undeniable that the guy is a prideful, tough, bastard, which will only make his crack much worse."

Given all the recent indications that cycling might still be very much business as usual, I'd say the probability of him not racing clean is much higher than I thought when he first came back. If he's still up to the old tricks, it's game-on for both the dope testers and his podium prospects.
With the stepped up out of competition controls, he may be playing a very dangerous game. It's a good thing Showergate came pretty far out, because I don't believe he could get away with it again.

This Catlin thing Bianchigirl points out, about working with the French is very interesting.

What a soap opera that may develop!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope he rides in both the Giro and the Tour as I believe he must be clean now as he has too much to loose if he dope and we will see finally how he stacks up to the rest. Doping controls are getting better plus there is always the possibility of storing and retesting samples once new tests are developed, so whoever dopes runs the risk of future sanctions and disqualifications.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You know, there is a reason he is riding the Gila and it's not because of the high quality of racing in the USA either.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
rook said:
Buenos, you should ask Frankie Andreu.
Seeing he was real good buddies with Lemond and was a doper indeed you should.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why does everyone hate lance?

Why does everyone hate lance? Lemond looks like Dana Carvy in the angry old man mode on SNL back in the 90's. Screw all the haters, frenchies and freedom fries!

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
jfn3 said:
Why does everyone hate lance? Lemond looks like Dana Carvy in the angry old man mode on SNL back in the 90's. Screw all the haters, frenchies and freedom fries!
Welcome. Everybody doesn't "hate" lance. There are those who worship him without queston, (see his twitter page) and those that point out his icon status is based entirely on the use of PED's. Is that hate?

jfn3 said:
Screw all the haters, frenchies and freedom fries!
The freedom fries thing was concocted by a Conservative Republican Congressman from NC, who has a similiar mindset to you. Actually, just recently he has become convinced that the war in Iraq is illegal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts