Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm pretty intrigued to see how he goes on May 9. This whole comeback thing is a bit like a chemistry experiment from school: you know how it's meant to turn out, but there's still every chance of a spectacular cock up.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
gizzard said:
This whole comeback thing is a bit like a chemistry experiment from school:
How long before that setup line gets this thread moved?!

Counting down now - 10...9...8...

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I said in an earlier thread, I'll be watching for a "bad day" in the big stages; this seems to be the most likely effect of being a bit older and having lost a bit of recovery ability to age.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
he'll end up using the Giro as a tune-up for the Tour - not enough race days in his legs with the injury and no way he beats Basso, who is timing his return to form perfectly. Levi will likely end up being Astana's GC guy for the Giro.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stevesbike said:
he'll end up using the Giro as a tune-up for the Tour - not enough race days in his legs with the injury and no way he beats Basso, who is timing his return to form perfectly. Levi will likely end up being Astana's GC guy for the Giro.
+1. Levi to lead Astana at the Giro, Armstrong to arrive at the Tour in good form. Astana is split down the middle with half the team supporting Armstrong and the other half looking after Contador. Contador throws his toys big time. Interesting days ahead for sure.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
gizzard said:
+1. Levi to lead Astana at the Giro, Armstrong to arrive at the Tour in good form. Astana is split down the middle with half the team supporting Armstrong and the other half looking after Contador. Contador throws his toys big time. Interesting days ahead for sure.
Levi has already been told that he will be the team leader...

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
I would pick Levi and Basso to podium - but not Lance due to inactivity and recovery time as stated above - although the guy is a workout feind. He is most likely targeting the tour.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
pdh777 said:
He is most likely targeting the tour.
I think that's been the plan all along.

·
SlowupbutFastdown
8 Posts
Honestly I can not imagine how Lance can even think of racing so i wish him the best. If he finishes it will quite a feat. It is a very painful injury when it heals naturally. Those screws and plate must be constantly felt. I really think professional cyclists are tough as nails with the pain they endure for their sport. Having broken my collarbone I can tell you the average person would be out 2 to 3+ times as long. Lifting a glass hurts weeks later.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea, I think Levi and Basso will duke it out for the maglia rosa. However, I think Armstrong will suprise people with decent form, maybe a Top 5 showing.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
gizzard said:
...by default
Well, probably, but who knows. I only heard that from him last week so I don't know when he was told.

Honestly, I don't know how Lance would be the team leader for the TdF. In all honesty, I would like to see a Lemond/Hinault-esque showdown at the Tour. I hope that he is strong enough to make it a reality. I thought maybe we might see it at the Giro but hopefully not as I would like to see Levi take it to Basso.

And as for who said that they can't believe he's back on a bike and training so quickly after a broken collarbone: every serious racer - pro and amateur - has serious injuries from which they need to get over and, out of necessity, they do that time and time again. A broken is the most common and one of the least serious injuries. It's nothing remarkable or extraordinary.

·
Banned
177 Posts
gizzard said:
...I'm pretty intrigued to see how he goes on May 9. This whole comeback thing is a bit like a chemistry experiment from school: you know how it's meant to turn out, but there's still every chance of a spectacular cock up.
In addition to the personal dramas, there are going to be some great team battles of strategy between Bruyneel, Riis, Stapleton and Vaughters, as well as others. It will be very interesting to see how deep each of these teams really are.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
TV-what's that? there's always lots of streaming internet video for the Giro - it is better to watch it in Italian anyway (even if you don't understand Italian, it just sounds better)

·
Registered
458 Posts
The whole Giro this year is going to be interesting. Who'll be there to win and who'll be there to play. It sure looks like Basso vs. Levi, but other than the Italians, will any of the other TDF contenders use this for anything more than a tune up?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts