Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because I'm tickled to death for the coverage.

But Gawd DAMN, do you agree that this year has really and truly sucked? I can't see the morning live coverage, so it may be different there. But he later stuff is damn near incoherent.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
the problem is the French director(s) in charge of the feed. Haven't they figured out how to do a split screen? The Italians do this for key points of the Giro - that way you can watch the break last kms plus the GC.

The French director also seems obsessed with castles, abbeys, and chateaus. A bit is fine, but not in the midst of the action. Again, the Italians know how to do it - instead of castles at the Giro they pan to the pretty women in the stands...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
OES said:
because I'm tickled to death for the coverage.

But Gawd DAMN, do you agree that this year has really and truly sucked? I can't see the morning live coverage, so it may be different there. But he later stuff is damn near incoherent.
The coverage has actually been a step up. The race itself has made covering it a challenge. The sprint and mountain jersey's haven't developed into any dramatic battle. Everyone in the universe knows the best stage racer and the best stage race team are missing, and it shows.
The current favorite, Cadel, lacks the fan and fellow rider respect of past champions. It seems like the drug free sport is a level playing field where few rise above or show the courage to try. People are hesitant to throw their full support behind any rider for fear of backing a drugged horse.
The prime coverage has Johan adding insight. Craig Hummer is a huge improvement over Adrian and Troutwig. He learns fast, and asks smart questions based on what he's learned.
The morning live coverage eliminates feature pieces, but makes up for it with commericals.
Don't expect WCP to be swamped with pre-orders for the dvd.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Without my tivo (getting ready to move) i have been stuck with primetime coverage many nights and it's just terrible. I wish Trautwig was still there instead of hummer, at least he kept my attention......hummer is just terrible. The only good thing tonight was Bruneel there with great insights.

What's really amazing is that many nights i end of nodding off during the coverage only to be jolted back when they go back to phil and paul for the last 5k. Even the replays are 'primetime coverage'......come on VS

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
The prime time coverage is nearly unwatchable. Too many commercials - sometimes during key moments in the race (like when someone attacks), Craig and Bob don't keep up with what's on the screen, and they're just flat out boring at times.

Phil and Paul can at least keep me from nodding off. Phil's a fine cycling play-by-play man, but his sense of humor is lacking. Many of Paul's attempts at humor have been shot down by Phil.

By contrast, the Eurosport guys crack me up. They find ways to make the stage go by quickly if nothing is happening. I don't know how many "hell" bombs the Eurosport play-by-play commentator has dropped during the Tour, but I've heard quite a few.

·
Registered
22 Posts
stevesbike said:
Haven't they figured out how to do a split screen? The Italians do this for key points of the Giro - that way you can watch the break last kms plus the GC.
That's funny. I've been watching this tour on one or more of the cyclingfans.com linked video feeds (jumping between sources based on which channel is the most stanle). I've watched a fair bit of it in German, which is fine (I speak enough to understand). I don't know the names of the German Eurosport announcers, but they were up in arms about the split screens at the end of stage 15. The video feed was following the yellow jersey group, and the announcers were correctly noting that the break away must be getting close to the finish. The announcers started pleading for a split screen, expressing disbelief that the video producers had not figured out the split screen technology in this day and age. The video cut to the break away just as the break away hit the line.

·
TWD
603 Posts
okay, I will cave in that a split screen would help. The speed of the descent today was just too tough for moto coverage and the heli's can't cover that many groups
Phil and Paul are much better than Bob and Hummer. I normally watch the morning but am doubling up with the prime coverage and these guys are like watching paint dry. I don't know what is enhanced but you still get the rider interviews in the morning coverage
Maybe its just that more italian hotties show up along roadside. I was pretty classic when the heli would head over to the beach breaking away from pure giro coverage

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
To the OP: find a way to tape A.M. coverage. That will at least double your pleasure. Didnt see one single shot of VDV yesterday. I mean he is a top 5 guy going off the back. I was floored to read today that he came over only 30 seconds behind the yellow! Having said that, I think the coverage has improved slightly this year. The difference between the enhanced and regular version seems to be one extra interview pretty consistently. I watch the end of the enhanced in the morning and you usually get a bonus interview. So really its only worth about 20 seconds to tape it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Everyone in the universe knows the best stage racer and the best stage race team are missing, and it shows.
I hate to say it, but I think the race is probably better without Astana. It probably would have been total domanation (either Levi or Conty). What fun is that? Honestly right now, we don't know who is going to win.

On topic: Besides the damn Saab comercials that keep repeating the same saying, I have been pleased. I don't complain if cycling is on tv. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree sort of

I bought VS for the tour and will continue to pay for the upgrade b/c I appreciate their coverage of the sport.

BUT

Am I really their target demographic for all the commercials about fighting/death matches or whatever they're called? Not sure the marketing folks are in line with viewership. Maybe I'm wrong and just a couple of standard deviations away from the average viewer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
opinions are so polarized. one post hates Trautwig. another post hates Hummer. they seem ok to me. and i dont think i can do as good of a job as either of them. i think phil and paul just make it look so easy, so much that it makes bob and hummer look like a couple of yahoo's sitting in a broadcasting booth.

·
Registered
291 Posts
maglia vecchia said:
Am I really their target demographic for all the commercials about fighting/death matches or whatever they're called? Not sure the marketing folks are in line with viewership.
juding by the number and variety of "male enhancement" commercials they must think that all the riding around on those saddles we do has done us all some damage:eek:

I actually thought the best targeted commercial was one for making pasta in the microwave. Its just what a bunch of non cooking pasta eating guys need.

Thankfully I usually record it so I can skip the commercials.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
maglia vecchia said:
I bought VS for the tour and will continue to pay for the upgrade b/c I appreciate their coverage of the sport.

BUT

Am I really their target demographic for all the commercials about fighting/death matches or whatever they're called? Not sure the marketing folks are in line with viewership. Maybe I'm wrong and just a couple of standard deviations away from the average viewer.

raises hand. its called MMA or mixed martial arts. yes its brutal but hardly a "death match" another great sport.

Chad

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does the commentary really matter that much to you? I love football but a lot of the announcers are terrible. John Madden stinks. But they show the game and I watch and enjoy it. You are watching nearly the entire stage, everyday, of a cycling race that most of america does not care about. As bad as phil and paul are, does it really matter?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.