Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished the conversion of my old Bianchi SS into a commuter - basket on the front to hold my briefcase, platform pedals that are wingtip friendly...however, I'm wondering what jackets are out there that people like? I wear a suit and tie to work so I am often commuting (inbound) with the jacket on. Does anyone have any experience with a rain/weather shell cut long enough to fit over a suit jacket (if need be - i.e. turns damp during the day making the commute home wet)? If not, does anyone have any favorites for shells that they have used on their commutes? Ideally, it would be something small and easily packable so that it can be whipped out if needed.

Many thanks...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Seersucker is nice.

mass_biker said:
Finished the conversion of my old Bianchi SS into a commuter - basket on the front to hold my briefcase, platform pedals that are wingtip friendly...however, I'm wondering what jackets are out there that people like? I wear a suit and tie to work so I am often commuting (inbound) with the jacket on. Does anyone have any experience with a rain/weather shell cut long enough to fit over a suit jacket (if need be - i.e. turns damp during the day making the commute home wet)? If not, does anyone have any favorites for shells that they have used on their commutes? Ideally, it would be something small and easily packable so that it can be whipped out if needed.

Many thanks...
The last few years I have gone to Pearl Izumi shells for cool or damp days. They cost a bit more but they sure are nice. For heavy rain or cold the Burley jacket is still my favorite.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
MB is spot on as usual. I don't usually wear a jacket on cool days being the young whipper snapper than I am but two thumbs up on the Burley for rainy days. Nothing like a bunch of hippies from Oregon to make the perfect rain jacket, good people too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like my pearl izumi also. Get bright yellow for visibility while commuting. I like the vagabond model which has zip off sleeves so you can make it a vest, or just zip off the sleeves half way for some ventilation.

if you are wearing a suit it's important not to overheat and get all sweaty. get some good fenders!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.