Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own property on Amelia Island and will likely to be moving there in the next year or two. I have done enough riding in the area to know that it is nothing but flat and windy. I'm wondering if there are any hilly, or at least rolling, road rides within a reasonable driving distance. South Georgia, maybe?

·
Sluggo
222 Posts
TMG57 said:
I'm wondering if there are any hilly, or at least rolling, road rides within a reasonable driving distance. South Georgia, maybe?
Clermont in Central Florida is about a three hour drive from Jacksonville. Clermont hosts the Horrible Hundred every November, which most of us flatlanders find pretty challenging.

Not sure about Southern Georgia. The Dahlonega area north of Atlanta has some great climbs and vistas, but it's about twice as far as Clermont.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jaxattax said:
Clermont in Central Florida is about a three hour drive from Jacksonville. Clermont hosts the Horrible Hundred every November, which most of us flatlanders find pretty challenging.

Not sure about Southern Georgia. The Dahlonega area north of Atlanta has some great climbs and vistas, but it's about twice as far as Clermont.
I'll second that. Most of Lake County (west of Orlando) has some nice hills (Florida hills). I'd also recommend the Gainesville area. There is an event there in October. I've been told that it is pretty nice. Here is some info:

October 23-24
Gainesville FL
Gainesville Cycling Festival
Two centuries in two days! (Or enjoy the shorter options for a weekend of bicycle touring.) See details in the listings for the Santa Fe Century and Horse Farm Hundred. Full info is available on the web site, along with an application.

http://gccfla.org/gcf/

The Horrible is definitely a challenging ride.

November 21 (Sun)
Clermont FL
Horrible Hundred
31st Annual Horrible Hundred - Sunday, November 21st. Two days, three routes and seven mountains makes this year′s event another great adventure. Join the Florida Freewheelers in celebrating one of Florida′s oldest continuous rides. The Horrible Hundred event features course options of 35, 70 and 100 miles. Enjoy quiet country roads and true Southern hospitality while tackling Central Florida′s "mountains". Early registration pick up and familiarization rides on Saturday, November 20 will be available. Fee: $35 pre-registration and $40 day of. Start: Waterfront Park, Clermont, Florida. For more information and online registration go to www.horrible-hundred.com

http://www.horrible-hundred.com/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.