Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
So Jacobellis was showing off/goofing off, so what? It's fricken snowboarding. Does anyone really care? :rolleyes:
I liked the NY Times's comment (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/18/opinion/18sat4.html):
You Go, Lindsey

The sports world was buzzing yesterday about Lindsey Jacobellis's Olympic moment. The young American snowboarder seemed to have clinched the gold medal in the snowboardcross when she tried to get fancy on her next-to-last jump, crash-landed and scrambled miserably to her feet as Tanja Frieden of Switzerland blew by her to win the gold. Besides a silver, Ms. Jacobellis won an instantaneous reputation as a showboater who "got what she deserved," in the words of one sports commentator.

As she explained later, the flamboyant spirit of snowboarding had chosen a bad time to express itself. "I was having fun," she said. "Snowboarding is fun. I was ahead. I wanted to share my enthusiasm with the crowd. I messed up. Oh, well, it happens."

To the uninitiated, snowboardcross looks like a combination of roller derby and surfing. It's hard to imagine anybody regarding the outcome as a matter of life or death. Perhaps that's why its athletes, like the other snowboarders at the games, seem to be stealing the show with their cheerful good humor. Meanwhile, the potential champions in sports like figure skating grimly go about their business, trying to pretend that it's all for the love of the sport, that the whole world isn't watching, that a king's ransom in endorsements doesn't hang in the balance.

At times, the atmosphere gets downright gloomy. When the American figure skater Johnny Weir missed the bus to the rink, he got upset and skated badly, and finished without a medal. "I didn't feel my aura," he said. "Inside I was black." Meanwhile, the Russian skater Yevgeni Plushenko accepted his gold medal with a stone-faced stare, "looking completely unamused," as The Times's Juliet Macur reported. "I tell the truth, this is my dream, yeah, and I am so happy," Mr. Plushenko said unconvincingly. "Believe me, I am so happy."

Meanwhile, Ms. Jacobellis had an amazing race, built a huge lead, got exuberant and went splat. What did she think these were — Games?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fredke said:
I liked the NY Times's comment (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/18/opinion/18sat4.html):
You Go, Lindsey

The sports world was buzzing yesterday about Lindsey Jacobellis's Olympic moment. The young American snowboarder seemed to have clinched the gold medal in the snowboardcross when she tried to get fancy on her next-to-last jump, crash-landed and scrambled miserably to her feet as Tanja Frieden of Switzerland blew by her to win the gold. Besides a silver, Ms. Jacobellis won an instantaneous reputation as a showboater who "got what she deserved," in the words of one sports commentator.

As she explained later, the flamboyant spirit of snowboarding had chosen a bad time to express itself. "I was having fun," she said. "Snowboarding is fun. I was ahead. I wanted to share my enthusiasm with the crowd. I messed up. Oh, well, it happens."

To the uninitiated, snowboardcross looks like a combination of roller derby and surfing. It's hard to imagine anybody regarding the outcome as a matter of life or death. Perhaps that's why its athletes, like the other snowboarders at the games, seem to be stealing the show with their cheerful good humor. Meanwhile, the potential champions in sports like figure skating grimly go about their business, trying to pretend that it's all for the love of the sport, that the whole world isn't watching, that a king's ransom in endorsements doesn't hang in the balance.

At times, the atmosphere gets downright gloomy. When the American figure skater Johnny Weir missed the bus to the rink, he got upset and skated badly, and finished without a medal. "I didn't feel my aura," he said. "Inside I was black." Meanwhile, the Russian skater Yevgeni Plushenko accepted his gold medal with a stone-faced stare, "looking completely unamused," as The Times's Juliet Macur reported. "I tell the truth, this is my dream, yeah, and I am so happy," Mr. Plushenko said unconvincingly. "Believe me, I am so happy."

Meanwhile, Ms. Jacobellis had an amazing race, built a huge lead, got exuberant and went splat. What did she think these were — Games?
Yep. Well said.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Yep. Well said.
NO F'N Sh**! I said it first and all the clueless re-posters heaped upon me to no avail. The NYT validates poor ol' Sintesi. Game (!) Not sport. This is "Marketing." If dillweed Lindsey had not goofed on the final jump she'd be a muli-multi-millionaire nor a mere millionaire . Oh MY if she'd only won.....

Face it stooges, she's a mark, or a "tie-in" to convince the general brain-dead to buy merchandise (that is if the concept eludes you). She's a prime an exemplar for all other "sport" millionaire wannabe dillweeds. Our only weapon is internet derision.

Soak it up Shaggy. We know you all are fools. Alpine money grubbers trying to push product. WE KNOW!

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Sintesi said:
NO F'N Sh**!
I thought I told you to go watch Curling. **tapping foot in consternation**

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
When I first posted this I had no idea there were 10 other threads on this topic. Of course, you wouldn't know by looking at the topic headers...
At least this one gives the rest of us fair warning so that we can avoid it if we want to.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
snapdragen said:
I thought I told you to go watch Curling. **tapping foot in consternation**
I'm so sorry Snap, but as much as I try, in the fact that snowboarding cross or halfpipe is the sporting equivalent to Olymipic endevours of say Brittany Spears or the Backstreet Boys to music, I simply can't help myself. That people will eat synthetic crap is one thing. That they say they enjoy it, well.... This is why the internet exists. Indeed must exist. God made the internet for this very purpose.

I am the voice in the wilderness. I am proof that the tree that falls makes a sound.
Sintesi is one heavy dude. He exists to wreak havoc on the shredding kind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts