Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started using my new zipp 404 tubulars and put jagwire pads designed for carbon wheels on my campy brakes. Partly because I don't properly toe them in, the pads squealed/screamed like crazy for my first race. Second race, I toed them properly and they were better but I was amazed that after both races there was a good amount of pad burned off and just hanging by a thread. I'm going to ditch those pads and get another set. Any else have similar results with rapid pad wear? I guess I'll get Zipp/Campy/Kool Stop pads next and try one of those. The other thing is that the jagwires seemed to have a very low profile so that it didn't take much to burn the pad down to almost nothing?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Carbon braking surfaces don't dissipate the heat like an aluminum rim so the heat melts the pads. It doesn't seem to make much difference what pads are used, they melt and leave a deposit on the rim. I regularly clean my rims with soapy water and 400-600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.

Jim

·
Registered
655 Posts
JimP said:
Carbon braking surfaces don't dissipate the heat like an aluminum rim so the heat melts the pads. It doesn't seem to make much difference what pads are used, they melt and leave a deposit on the rim. I regularly clean my rims with soapy water and 400-600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.

Jim
I have had good luck with Campy pads that are specific to the Boras. No melting at all however they can be costly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.