Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a steel road/touring bike to be used on weekends for fun and exercise.

I have been riding for the last ten years or so a KHS comp mountain bike. The weekend rides are about 20 miles, now I like a bit faster bike and about as much comfortable as possible.

Bianchi and Jamis are runner ups.

Your thoughts and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Two vastly different bikes so it's hard to compare. The Bianchi has the better frame but the components on both are a bit weak. Don't know your size, but ebay has some nice Bianchi's right now. You may pay less and get a better bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions

I did not find many choices on steel frame bikes. I am size 53, are there any others that offer a better value?.

Thank you

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Touring?

When you say "touring," do you mean you want a bke that's designed for carrying lots of gear, such as for overnight trips? If so, the Jamis would fit the bill, and to me it looks like a nice bike for the money.

There are other options out there. The Surly "Long-Haul Trucker" gets good reviews and is modestly priced. I recently came across the Masi Randonneur bike, which looks very nice and is in the same price range as the Jamis.
http://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php

Touring bikes are great for all-around use -- fitness riding, commuting or actual loaded touring. But, depending on your intended use you might not need an actual touring bike, and in that case, there are lots of good options in that $1,000 price range, although the selection in steel is somewhat limited.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually

I am interested in a comfortable steel frame road bike to exercise mostly on weekends and I ride about 25 miles. Since I am not into wining races, I though to search for a touring bike but, I guess, a road bike is what I want.

Thank you for your suggestions

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah a touring bike may be a bit overkill for you're purposes.
Have you had a look at the Jamis Quest, and Satellite? They'd probably suit your needs a bit better. Perfectly capable of light touring duties as well as fast road rides.
The Raleigh clubman is another to look at as well as the Soma smooth (ES)

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Vince, Frith suggested what I was going to. The Jamis Quest has been a benchmark for value in lower priced steel bikes for over a decade. The Quest has components that won't be crapping out on you in two to three years plus it has a very good set of wheels. I don't know exactly what your price range is, but I'm sure you can find a Quest priced below list. The Quest will save you 3-4 pounds right from the start and give you a bike you won't need to upgrading any time soon. Check out these reviews.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/jamis/PRD_290790_5668crx.aspx#reviews

1 - 8 of 8 Posts