Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have Jamis Comet frame that has a hairline crack about an inch below right carbon seatstay. I took it to a dealer, they contacted Jamis, and Jamis claims it is not structurally damaged, that it is only crack in the paint. I only talked to the dealer on the phone. I'll probably pick up the frame tomorrow and will have all the details.

Jamis also say that the bike is safe to ride.

So, should I?

Thanks for reading...

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
have it in writing (that you're safe to ride) so u can sue the **** outta them if it cracks there and u get hurt

if not then i wouldn't do it, you're risking your beautiful face for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ JoelS
What is confusing me is the inner side of the dropout and the allen head screw, on the third photo. I guess they used the bolt to attach seatstay to the dropout. But then, looking from front and back, the crack is pretty deep...

@ skyliner1004
Potential free dental?

Seriously, how dangerous is it if the frame is really cracked and decide to let go? Also, can it be fixed? Welded?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt. I believe it is safe. I had a Jamis Ventura Comp with carbon seat stays and aluminum chainstays. The paint got a crack just lick this. The reason is the carbon seatstay has a bond aluminum cap that is bolted to the dropout/chainstay. This joint will sometimes have the screw loosen slightly and will flex slightly causing the crack in the paint. I fixed bolt loosening with some blue loctite. Never had problem in 2000miles.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
That is a 2 piece aluminum drop out with a bolt attaching them together. I have seen this issue before on the Fuji bikes I service as their design is very similar. Its just the paint over the joint. Check the screw and make sure its tight. If its loose, apply some blue loc-tite and tighten it down.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
stevesbike said:
to make sure you could sand a section of the paint away to examine

Actually an easier way would be to remove the bolt and flex the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jamis replied in less then a day, and like most of the people here said - it is a crack in the bonding material that they no longer use on the new frames. So, time to lose some weight (and stop blaming cracks on weak frames).

Thanks a lot everybody

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No... just a picture of a new frame... so I wanted to share it for educational purposes and future generations (even though you guys knew that already)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts