Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just read at the bottom comment section:

chase1961262 hours ago
I ride for Jamis, I'm here at the scene. The detectives have caught the guy, he tried to wash his car after returning home (only a mile or so from the scene), but his car has a large scratch on the door. He admitted to swearing at us and being at the scene, but not hitting us. The Tucson County prosecuter will be charging him with aggravated assault.

·
Registered
398 Posts
He's charged with aggravated assault? That's a joke. He's should have been charged with attempted murder. That way he could plead down to aggravated assault and still do time. Hitting a cyclist intentionally with a car makes it pretty clear you're trying to kill them.

Just read at the bottom comment section:

chase1961262 hours ago
I ride for Jamis, I'm here at the scene. The detectives have caught the guy, he tried to wash his car after returning home (only a mile or so from the scene), but his car has a large scratch on the door. He admitted to swearing at us and being at the scene, but not hitting us. The Tucson County prosecuter will be charging him with aggravated assault.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes Woody's! I have been lurking but not posting due to another bought with mono last year.

As for the guy today, it was insane. He came by us screaming obscenities and then rammed our front two guys and sped off. I was 2 rows back and saw everything. Luckily our director was up the road a little bit waiting and was able to follow him, and our pro photographer got a picture of the car and plates. Turned out he lived less than a mile away.

The guy tried to wash the side of the car afterwards, but was not able to get ride of the scratch mark down the passenger side door. The detectives put all the pieces together no problem. Having 15+ witnesses makes it easy to understand exactly what happened as well.

Currently the driver is in jail in Tucson and will be charged by the city prosecutor, which is apparently a big deal. Their office caught wind of the cycling news article and immediately took on the case. My guess is they don't want their cycling friendly image tarnished. The charge against him is class 3 felony aggravated assault (basically assault with a deadly weapon) which carries 5 years prison time minimum and 15 maximum. Hopefully with the obvious intent and fleeing the scene he will not be able to plea down.

Everyone on the team is okay, including the guys who went down. Some bruises, road rash and destroyed equipment. They are at the hospital getting checked out just in case.

With my history of accidents involving cars this incident really touched a nerve. Accidents and not paying attention are horrible, but not as horrible as this obvious assault on us. I hope this guy gets a long time in jail to set a precedent for future psychopaths.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.