Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
i think that it's completely amazing. especially at that price, you're getting such a nice tube set...and easton ec90 parts. i absolutely cannot complain or ask for anything more! well okay, maybe the cranks arent so great, nor are the hoops. but whatever.

i considered buying this for commuting. and that flat black looks soooooooo sharp!

·
Registered
727 Posts
boroef said:
i think that it's completely amazing. especially at that price, you're getting such a nice tube set...and easton ec90 parts. i absolutely cannot complain or ask for anything more! well okay, maybe the cranks arent so great, nor are the hoops. but whatever.

i considered buying this for commuting. and that flat black looks soooooooo sharp!
there are not any ec90 parts on that bike, only ec70, ea50 and ea30. there is a considerable difference, so get your facts straight
i do, however, think that is a hot lookin' bike, and i bet it would be a blast to ride. i might still recommend going with a langster from specialized and just upgrading it instead. but, you can't go wrong...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Seen but not ridden

I checked one of these out at the LBS a couple of weeks ago, although it may have been the 2005 model, I'm not sure. I think it was an '06. Anyway, it's very nice looking; but I'm personally not a fan of the fork or the handlebar. That's just a personal preferences, I admit, but it seems a little more "roadie" than "fixie" in its execution, IMHO. <p>
I agree that it's a pretty good value, but honestly, if I was going to drop $800 on a complete, I'd probably look at the Milwaukee Orange One (made by Waterford in the USA), or maybe even consider upgrading a Pista or an IRO with a pimped wheelset or something. <p>The claimed weight of 16.5 lbs is impressive - but may be a bit of a stretch, depending on size. The fact is, the ready-built mid-priced fixie market is offering more and more choices every day. The Jamis is certainly worth considering. The Alex/Formula wheels are nothing to get too excited about, but I think they tried to make up for them with the Easton parts.
<p>I'd be interested to hear some impressions from an actual test-ride -- anyone throw a leg over one lately?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorryi have not repliedsooner, i've been too busy riding :)i haveto agree that the drivetrain is a little weak, i would definately swap it out. other that that for an out of the box bike it looks solid.

·
Registered
173 Posts
cmatcan said:
there are not any ec90 parts on that bike, only ec70, ea50 and ea30. there is a considerable difference, so get your facts straight
i do, however, think that is a hot lookin' bike, and i bet it would be a blast to ride. i might still recommend going with a langster from specialized and just upgrading it instead. but, you can't go wrong...
thanks for the correction! my mistake...for some reason i thought that it had an ec90 fork on it. guess it was ec70!

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Well, it's certainly an object lesson in marketing, isn't it?

Category: "Messenger"
Name: "Sputnik"
Paint: Flat Blackl
Brake: no
Price: $825

Just about perfect. They thought of everything except,

Fork Material: Carbon
Brand: Jamis
Target audience: poseur

Now, let's sit back and watch one of the greatest and oldest traditions in cycling become just another commodity to exploit. Mmmmm. Smells like America!

-----------Labor creates all wealth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lifelover said:
Well, it's certainly an object lesson in marketing, isn't it?

Category: "Messenger"
Name: "Sputnik"
Paint: Flat Blackl
Brake: no
Price: $825

Just about perfect. They thought of everything except,

Fork Material: Carbon
Brand: Jamis
Target audience: poseur

Now, let's sit back and watch one of the greatest and oldest traditions in cycling become just another commodity to exploit. Mmmmm. Smells like America!

-----------Labor creates all wealth.

Well, that's almost clever, except it isn't being marketed as a "messenger category" bike for the "Bowery," and it's steel, and made by one of the smaller bike companies. Maybe next time you should try to make an analogy that's actually analagous. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts