Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bsilver
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my first real road bike for almost 3 months and have over 800 miles on it. I am getting an itch to make some upgrades. Since I am new to all this..which direction should I head? What would make good sense? I must say that I really have no complaints about anything. Just one side note..I am making myself crazy about any nosie I hear that could be coming from the bike..No real issues to date..but should I be so critical and expect it to sound like a "Rolls Royce"

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/xenith/10_endura1_spec.html

Thanks,

bsilver

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
bsilver said:
I have had my first real road bike for almost 3 months and have over 800 miles on it. I am getting an itch to make some upgrades. Since I am new to all this..which direction should I head? What would make good sense? I must say that I really have no complaints about anything. Just one side note..I am making myself crazy about any nosie I hear that could be coming from the bike..No real issues to date..but should I be so critical and expect it to sound like a "Rolls Royce"

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/xenith/10_endura1_spec.html

Thanks,

bsilver
If it was me, I'd swap those 25s for 28s and put on a pair of fenders- fall is coming and that means rain. fenders mean riding in the rain without getting a raccoon stripe up yer butt.

Otherwise, why mess with it? you like it, you've got no problems with it, just ride it. once you hit 8000 miles, you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to change.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with buck-50, try holding off for a bit. An upgrade "that makes good sense" is one that you know will improve your ride. If your swapping out parts just for the heck of it, well that doesnt really make sense now does it.

The specs on that bike seem more than good enough for most recreational riders, I don't see where you can make huge improvements unless you started racing. So on that note, the places I would start swapping out are the contact points (bars, saddles, pedals). I absolutely hated riding in the drops until I swapped the stock bars out for FSA Wing Pros

·
Registered
13 Posts
You state your happy with everything so it hard to provide advice.

Is the saddle comfortable after 2 hours of riding? Some shops let you try out different models before buying.

A new set of wheels and tires that are better - use the originals for rainy days and backups.

Do you have all the personal gear you need. I can think of all kinds of stuff besides the bike that I would like to buy right now - extra bib shorts, new jersey, sunglasses, highend bike computer, etc.

How do you like the long reach brakes? The bike seems pretty versatile with the ability to use bigger tires and mount fenders. I'd like to test ride this bike someday.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
how about a new wheelset? Those mavic CXP22's are low end and are certainly very heavy. Give us a budget on how much u wanna spend on upgraded.

how about tires to GP4000S?

Brake pads from those crappy tektros? Or whole new calipers (105 or ultegra)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts