Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Not exactly.

Ullrich wasn't linked with Saiz, he was (possibly) linked to Fuentes, based on speculation about a nickname used in the doctor's records.

And Vino is out because his team is owned and was directed by Saiz, irrespective of the guilt or innocence of any of the individual riders on that team.

The decision is pretty clearly fair, in my opinion. The DS and owner of Liberty was clearly involved in widespread doping, therefore his team is ineligible. Jan Ullrich was implicated based on speculation by a newspaper - not exactly strong enough evidince to wreck his career over.

(I'm not implying anything regarding the actual guilt or innocence of either of them.)

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I read that there were some bags of blood in saiz's freezer with "Jan" on them.

ebroil said:
Ullrich wasn't linked with Saiz, he was (possibly) linked to Fuentes, based on speculation about a nickname used in the doctor's records.

And Vino is out because his team is owned and was directed by Saiz, irrespective of the guilt or innocence of any of the individual riders on that team.

The decision is pretty clearly fair, in my opinion. The DS and owner of Liberty was clearly involved in widespread doping, therefore his team is ineligible. Jan Ullrich was implicated based on speculation by a newspaper - not exactly strong enough evidince to wreck his career over.

(I'm not implying anything regarding the actual guilt or innocence of either of them.)

· Registered
11,561 Posts
bas said:
I thought I read that there were some bags of blood in saiz's freezer with "Jan" on them.
There are other riders named Jan. One who immediately comes to mind is Jan Hruska who I believe has had a doping violation or at least some hematocrit violations. He rode for both ONCE and Liberty Seguros, but I think he has now been relegated to a continental team.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Jan is only ok with ASO until he is formally identified. That will probably take longer than 3 weeks, though there were 3 bags full marked Jan and a DNA test vs other samples which WADA has in storage could settle that by Friday if they really wanted to.

I am sure Oscar Sevilla would be glad to give his input if the noose starts to tighten around his neck some more too. ;-)

· Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
Jan is only ok with ASO until he is formally identified. That will probably take longer than 3 weeks, though there were 3 bags full marked Jan and a DNA test vs other samples which WADA has in storage could settle that by Friday if they really wanted to.

I am sure Oscar Sevilla would be glad to give his input if the noose starts to tighten around his neck some more too. ;-)
It's possible that both Jans are involved as I believe I read the bags marked with "Jan" were old. So the "Jan" bags could be Hruska's, while the notes mentioning Uncle Rudy do refer to Ullrich but there is no hard evidence. I think Ullrich has offered to do the DNA testing perhaps knowing they don't have any of his blood.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
It's possible that both Jans are involved as I believe I read the bags marked with "Jan" were old. So the "Jan" bags could be Hruska's, while the notes mentioning Uncle Rudy do refer to Ullrich but there is no hard evidence. I think Ullrich has offered to do the DNA testing perhaps knowing they don't have any of his blood.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tp_sto916103.shtml

Cycling - 28/06/2006 - 15:57
Jan considers legal action
Jan Ullrich is considering legal action against Spanish newspaper El Pais, which has implicated the T-Mobile leader the country's biggest doping scandal. The German could also possibly submit to a DNA test his manager Wolfgang Strohband told the Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.