Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
total shock coming from the mind behind nine tour wins. The guy just wrote a book, "We might as well win", now, it's like he's rewriting the title to read, "We might as well loose" ! Question: JB is a strategist. a psychologist above all else so, is this some pre-tour psych 101 strategy where he'll sneak in the guns in the form of his new prodigy JB Junior; is it a future strategy to get back with AC later after LA retires (see the flight encounter toward end of article); OR is he just being for real?

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
It sounds more like he is saying "we have nothing to prove" after winning the tour nine times. If he loses the tour this year, his reputation and legacy, as well as Armstrong's, will still be intact. No one thinks any less of Eddy Merckx for not winning his last tour.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I think he's just being realist, prepared for the harsh reality that his team cant and wont win this year...
I doubt they can win the overall. Stage wins are within their reach. I also think he would like to see Lance in yellow if for only a few days.

· Registered
679 Posts
He's probably just being humbled. LA has as good a chance as most. And I think if LA can get yellow on his back conti, or anyone else, will have a hard time taking it away from him. He's a fierce competitor and between him and JB they've got some seriously impressive tdf tactical knowledge. Not to mention the shack has an incredible team heading into july. Ok I'm salivating now. Can't wait for the tdf this year

· Registered
3,245 Posts
JB has been around long enough to know the facts. And the facts are, unless something odd happens, Contador will win another tour. That was interesting, Contador sitting with him on the plane.

· Registered
4,683 Posts
tommyrhodes said:
Contis has been outclimbed by both Evans and brakjovic at seperate points this year. So I don't fully understand why everyone is acting like contador is a shoe in due to his great climbing.
Somehow I think things will be different at the Tour (unless the flu he has blows up).

· Registered
3,245 Posts
tommyrhodes said:
Contis has been outclimbed by both Evans and brakjovic at seperate points this year. So I don't fully understand why everyone is acting like contador is a shoe in due to his great climbing.
Don't get me wrong, I think Conti has shown some weakness this year. As you said, others have outdone him this year. And then there are the cobbles. Small % of the tour, but highly dangerous. Word is that Conti currently has the flu.

· Registered
679 Posts
Contis is a def favorite heading in. I'm just saying that I do not think its a sure thing for him at all. There are just too many teams with a shot at gc. He'll be getting attacked constantly and having to chase down soo many breakaways. Its gonna be tough for someone as tactically lacking as conti. Not saying he's an idiot. Just that he doesn't always do the wisest things

· LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
tommyrhodes said:
None other than Lord Lance has shown us mulitple times in his Tour winning streak that getting beat by rivals in the months leading to the Tour doesn't mean you wont be ready to beat them in the Tour... Evans is staying close to his 100% almost all season long. If Contador peaks at the right time, I don't think Evans or Brakjovic can beat him up the climbs of the Pyrénées, they might even have trouble following him. Contador hasn't been at his best yet this season... I'm not saying he will win easily, or win at all, but he is the top favorite, even his rivals are thinking so.

· Registered
4,683 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
None other than Lord Lance has shown us mulitple times in his Tour winning streak that getting beat by rivals in the months leading to the Tour doesn't mean you wont be ready to beat them in the Tour... Evans is staying close to his 100% almost all season long. If Contador peaks at the right time, I don't think Evans or Brakjovic can beat him up the climbs of the Pyrénées, they might even have trouble following him. Contador hasn't been at his best yet this season... I'm not saying he will win easily, or win at all, but he is the top favorite, even his rivals are thinking so.
I can only think of two GC contenders who have a chance to stay w/Alberto if he hammers up a mtn top finish - Basso (if he's able to peak twice) and Andy Schleck (if he was sandbagging it @ TdS). IMHO.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
tommyrhodes said:
I think Brajkovic has a better shot of winning this year's Tour than Lance does.

· Registered
930 Posts
Don't know where people are getting that Contador has shown weakness this year. He has not. He's not and never will be a top notch classics racer..just not suited for that. With stage races, Contador has learned he doesn't need to go all out with these "lesser" races, similar to what Lance did years ago.

· Registered
678 Posts
izzyfly said:
total shock coming from the mind behind nine tour wins. The guy just wrote a book, "We might as well win", now, it's like he's rewriting the title to read, "We might as well loose" ! Question: JB is a strategist. a psychologist above all else so, is this some pre-tour psych 101 strategy where he'll sneak in the guns in the form of his new prodigy JB Junior; is it a future strategy to get back with AC later after LA retires (see the flight encounter toward end of article); OR is he just being for real?
He may be a realist...but I think this is surprising and kind of poor form. Did Phil Jackson ever suggest "we don't have to win the championship" just because he's won in the past?
Maybe an off day, maybe not accurate reporting? It seems kind of odd to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.