Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certainly getting strange a barrel adjuster problem lately and I was wondering if any of you have or had the same problem.

After adjusting my front derailleur near perfect, I go out for a ride and certainly my FD starts to rub the chain so I look down and guess what? My barrel adjuster went back to the original position! This happens every ride now and I think I need a new barrel adjuster. I know I'm riding rough roads, but is this common? What's wrong with my barrel adjuster?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If your adjuster is placed on the head tube, chances are it looses adjustment due to steering movement. On one of my bikes I had to apply some Loctite 222 (the weakest) on the threads in order to prevent this from happening.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
divve said:
If your adjuster is placed on the head tube, chances are it looses adjustment due to steering movement. On one of my bikes I had to apply some Loctite 222 (the weakest) on the threads in order to prevent this from happening.
Ditto on my tI bikes. Every time I turn the bars it turns the adjustor a little. - TF

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dwaharvey said:
When you turn the adjuster, is the housing winding up along with it... then when you ride it is maybe unwinding and reseting your adjuster?
Hmmm.....is does winding up so unwinding is a possibility, but 3 or 4 turns less than 100km is just too much isn't it?

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
divve said:
Mine are on the downtube. Locktite? I'll try that if replacing the barrel fails.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
You might doubt this, but

If you remove the cables from the derailleurs, and pull slack into the cable. Then remove the housing from the barrel adjuster, you might see that the plastic of the housing has shrunk back exposing the wires of the housing. These wires dig into the barrel with each movement of the bars causing the barrel to rotate. Time to freshen up the housing ends or replace them. This also frequently causes a scritching noise as you move the bars. I have seen this many times. Also make sure that the ferrules on the housing ends are not stuck in the barrels, lube them inside and out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.