Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.

Anyone had the Jelly Belly Sport Beans yet? Electrolytes & Vitamins included in this convenient package, which was appealing to me - plus they should taste pretty good being made by Jelly Belly, no?

25 grams Carbs
120 mg of electrolytes (sodium/potassium) + C&E (20%)

Thoughts? One website with FAQ seemed to indicate eating a packet before with water, during anything over 45 minutes with water and then an optional post workout boost as well.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
The Armagh said:
Alright.

Anyone had the Jelly Belly Sport Beans yet? Electrolytes & Vitamins included in this convenient package, which was appealing to me - plus they should taste pretty good being made by Jelly Belly, no?

25 grams Carbs
120 mg of electrolytes (sodium/potassium) + C&E (20%)

Thoughts? One website with FAQ seemed to indicate eating a packet before with water, during anything over 45 minutes with water and then an optional post workout boost as well.
Gym was giving them out the other day. They taste like jelly bellys--the flavor I had was sour orange. Save your $$ and buy the real thing.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
The Armagh said:
The real thing, being jelly beans?
yup...or real jelly bellys. I think the only real difference is you get more salt in these.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just ate some about 2 hours ago on a ride.The lemon lime ones.I really like Jelly Belly's so I figured I would give these a shot.

They cost too much for what you get so I'll be sticking with hammer gel and real food.However,they are a treat if you want something different.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argentius said:
The other difference is that they're not quite so ... sticky as a mouthful of jelly beans.

Cute idea, but, no thanks. Too expensive, too easy to spill, etc. I'll stick with fig newtons.
Really? Fig Newtons? Interesting if true!!

I agree, easy to spill, but I get tired of bars, etc. I just got some of those sharkie things tonight and will try em. I can't bring myself to do the gel, but I might give it a go.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I bought one pack of them on a whim last time I was in the LBS, and they taste great, but I spilled half of them out of the pack while trying to eat on the bike. I second Fig bars...try to find Fig NewMANs if you can. Support a great cause founded by perhaps the coolest man on earth.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Another menber of the Kerry Irons converted fig newton club here. Our Costco has big boxes of whole wheat fig newtons. I wrap a bunch in two newton packs of plastic wrap and munch away as needed. 120 calories per pack of two and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fig Newman's are awesome.
Note, however, if you are sensitive to a high fiber content...um, beware.
Clif Shot Bloks are pretty good -- I cut off the top 1/3 of the packet and put the whole thing in my jersey pocket. That way they are easy to grab and don't pick up any lint (blech). I prefer the Cran-Razz, not too sweet, a little tangy. The Lemon/Lime taste sorta like plastic to me and the Strawberry is too sweet. They do gum a bit onto your teeth, true, but it's like savin' a wee bit for later!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I may have to convert also. My source for getting me Cliffbars on the cheap is having difficulty finding them (I could get them for $0.10-0.20 each; so what if they were expired?)

·
fuzzy legs
39 Posts
I bought a box...

they're great on longer runs but on the bike the packaging is a pain. I spilled half a pack on the road last weekend. Fortunately we were able to recover them within the allowable 10second window. :D

In terms of my overall performance with the jelly belly's...it works exactly as other expensive sugar products do, it's a nice change from gels once in a while.

b.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Problem with fig newtons is the cookie dust is easy to inhale and start you coughing. I love them though.

A great item to bring thats cheap is a whole wheat bagel that has honey in it. The honey makes it wet enough to chew and you won't choke on it like a dry one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.