Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a class act! Last 200-300 meters and Voigt lets Garate win the stage after Garate paces Voigt up the last climb. A pat on the back by Voigt and a shake of the hands and Garate wins the stage.

I've never seen such a display of sportsmanship. Props to Voigt.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
wzq622 said:
What a class act! Last 200-300 meters and Voigt lets Garate win the stage after Garate paces Voigt up the last climb.
Voight sat on the break all day as well, and Bettini did a boat load of the work to keep the break's gap earlier in the stage. Not enough reasons though not to contest the finish if he had chosen. That was classy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed, class move by Jens. Garate did all the work and Jens stuck on his wheel just to make sure Garate didn't get too far away and was there to protect Basso's interest. Some guys would have taken advantage and sprinted to the line.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
For anyone that watched that classic gesture, Jens Voigt just became one of their favorite riders. Chapeau, Jens, chapeau.

Oh yeah, another tall German did something similar in the 2001 TdF to Lance (although Lance wasn't taking the stage).

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Jens rules

gotta love a big teutonic diesel. class act, great defense of his 'boss'. I'm not going to draw any conclusions or comparisons because had this been a Tour stage it may not have played out as such. 2 different races. Nice climbing for a big diesel. I remember when a certain Kazach rider allowed Jens to do most of the work and pipped him in a monument.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Jens is the man, but not sure this is right:

Voigt lets Garate win
Jens didn't "let" him win, he was pretty cooked at that point and knew he didn't have it for the sprint. Still he rode like a champ, and handled the situation with class. He is a big guy, so to even be there at the finish was amazing. Even more amazing given all the work he did this Giro. But, if he had the gas to win, he would have won- he's a consumate professional after all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
borget said:
Yes, it makes you think back to the Queen Stage of the Tour last year when a certain Disco rider was in the same situation....
that´s what i was thinking while garate was leading up the climb, i did think voight was going to sprint on the final but instead, he did the right thing, congratulations jens. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
He let him win in the sense he didn't contest the finish. If he would have contested it then the chips would have fallen where they may. Both of them looked shot. And Garate made a nice gesture in return to Voigt for the gift.
What was the point of hanging on with Garate then, if not to go for the stage win?
I like Voigt. I think he is one of my all-time favorite riders. But if he had the energy, he should have gone for the win.

My theory is that he was cooked and didn't want to turn in into an ugly sprint, that he probably knew he was going to lose anyways.

G

·
Dwayne Barry said:
Pantani was a serious head case. He couldn't deal with the fact that he was one of the first ones to fall afoul of the UCI starting to tackle the drug problem and thus felt unfairly persecuted and maligned.
Apparently he didn't understand Lance's mangled (french or italian - I forget which) and thought LA was basically saying "get your ass moving". Oops.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
maybe another thing

being there and sitting on may have slowed garate's pace which made it easier for CSC and Ivan to protect GC lead. By not contesting the sprint Jens makes the statement "It's
(this Giro) is not about me,it's all about Ivan" which is the message they are all selling. Jens does this and it helps the entire teams dedication and resolve through the rest of the Giro.

·
Banned
923 Posts
From cyclingnews:

"Garate's move came off an earlier attack from Slovenian Tadej Valjavec (Lampre-Fondital) and Jens Voigt (CSC), who attacked three kilometres earlier on the lower slopes of the Passo Di San Pellegrino. The latter, a noted non-climber but one of the best all-rounders in the game, displayed strength and stamina by hanging onto the Spaniard until just 300 metres remaining, until bidding his partner adieu in a very sportsmanlike gesture, patting Garate on the back and shaking hands.

"When I attacked at seven kilometres to go and caught Voigt, he immediately told me that he didn't want to sprint. So I made my own pace and didn't attack [Voigt]," explained Garate.

"Voigt worked a lot in the break today, and he certainly would have been very happy to win, but he showed there are other values and there is respect [between riders] in the race. He made a very nice gesture, and I think it is good for cycling... I will not forget what he did - he is a great champion and a great personality."

Said Voigt: "I was always sitting on the back of the attack, but I couldn't win today because I didn't work at all. You can only win if you are the strongest and it wouldn't have been right if I did."

Pure class from both riders - so good to see gentlemanly, sporting values triumph over 'professionalism' for a change - especially in light of all the upheaval in the sport at the moment - chapeau to Voigt and Garate

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
thanks for the interview....voigt won me over when he put on the yellow jersey in last year's tour (correct, no?, i'm feeling confused at the moment). in the interview he was all smiles and simply stated that it was nice because it showed that he wasn't over the hill yet, so to speak. he's got character.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.