Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of his love of the Tour of California at a press conferrence in Cali, RadioShanty's Jens Voigt suggested that "The only next step is to cut the Giro [d'Italia] down and give another week to the Tour of California," Voigt said. "It's a great race, and one of the reasons I keep coming back and choosing it over the Giro, I love to be here, and the fans show up in large numbers. Every year we have millions of supporters."

Has he lost his mind! The ToC is a good race, but the idea of cutting the singular most exciting Grand Tour down to give this middle-of-the-road stage race more time seems completely off the wall. I understand that he is riding for an American sponsored team in an American race and needs to pander a bit to the local press - but that's just taking it to a completely other level.

Also, He chooses it over the Giro? Didn't know he had that much pull - guess the Team management just send Jensie where he wants to go - ridiculous!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Jens has had some comments I don't really get along with. Part of it is because he only says things in biased favor for his teammates. Of course one should support their team foremost, but it gets annoying.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
It was a press conference at the team presentations for the ToC. Of course he is going to say stuff like that. Ask him which race he would rather win and see what he says.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Jens is on the TdF sched so Cali is logical spot for him to be, not to mention he is an enormous fan favorite in the United States. He goes out of his way to make time for the fans and they gobble it up, very natural for both he and the team to have him at AToC. Jens in person is just the way you see in interviews, always with stories, laughing, etc.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Insanity. ToC sucks in comparison to the Giro.

I was actually reminded it started today. Didn't care enough to find it on TV.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
Don't worry about it. Jens is an animated guy and he says things like that; hyperbole not intended to be taken too seriously. I'm certain that he doesn't really believe that the Giro should be shortened to allow for a longer ToC. He has long said that he enjoys racing on the wider American roads and since he is extremely popular in the United States, I'm sure he has a blast racing the ToC.

The Giro and the ToC are completely different races and are not really comparable. The Giro is targeted by people who (considering that nowadays the Giro-Tour double is considered nearly impossible) plan their entire year around winning it. The ToC is strategically placed as a Tour de France preparation race (like the Dauphine but without the history and European location, making it more vulnerable to snobbery). The ToC draws a quality field, attracts big enthusiastic crowds, and features tough stages that offer the terrain and level of competition necessary to prepare people for racing the Tour de France. I wouldn't say it sucks in comparison to the Giro; they are not the same thing and that is a comparison of apples and oranges.

The Giro is my favorite race and I think shortening it for the ToC's favor is as ridiculous as everyone else. I just don't think that Jens intended for that comment to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't see a problem with Jens advocating for an expanded TOC - I think that's great! For sure he isn't serious about lopping a week off the Giro - that's either his idea of a joke or a comment on the restrictions the UCI puts on stage races to more or less limit grand tours to the big 3 incumbents.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see a problem with Jens advocating for an expanded TOC - I think that's great! For sure he isn't serious about lopping a week off the Giro - that's either his idea of a joke or a comment on the restrictions the UCI puts on stage races to more or less limit grand tours to the big 3 incumbents.
Putting Jen's absurd Giro comment aside, I suspect that if pro-cycling does grow (not a foregone conclusion by any means) - perhaps there will be room/money for a Fourth Grand Tour and perhaps that Tour will grow out of The Tour of California or the US Pro Challenge in Colorado - that would be great! The UCI (under new leadership one hopes) will go for a fourth Grand Tour as soon as they are sure the money and support is there to sustain it in the long-run - it's the only thing that makes sense given the effort to globalize the sport.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
No matter how great the Giro is, he just might like racing the ToC more. Do you have specific routes or climbs that you enjoy riding more than others? I know I do.
I'm sure that given the choice he would rather win any of the GT's over the ToC. That doesn't mean he likes riding them more.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Hey! I'm older than Jens and I'm not senile yet! Now where did I put my wheels...

Voight's comments might have had virtue a couple of years ago when the Giro tried to kill itself, Zomegnan at the helm. Acquarone has done a fantastic job since 2011.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Insanity. ToC sucks in comparison to the Giro.

I was actually reminded it started today. Didn't care enough to find it on TV.
Actually so far both stages 1 and 2 of ToC featured the most exciting finishes. More exciting than Giro in fact, even with all the Wiggins drama. Giro is still more important, serious "Grand Tour" stage race and all that. But ToC features a lot of excitement - if you don't want to watch it, that's fine, but then you miss out on all excitement. Just sayin'.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
You must have missed Adam Hansen soloing away of Friday at the Giro. Guess it doesn't read as well as it was to watch. So the ToC had a great finish today, but prior to today it has been a litany of classic stages that were designed to get the favorites out front only to be caught and end up in a bunch finish. Don't let todays stage cloud your judgment of what it has been for the last three years.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
You must have missed Adam Hansen soloing away of Friday at the Giro. Guess it doesn't read as well as it was to watch. So the ToC had a great finish today, but prior to today it has been a litany of classic stages that were designed to get the favorites out front only to be caught and end up in a bunch finish. Don't let todays stage cloud your judgment of what it has been for the last three years.
This. The Giro has been phenomenal thus far. California is the same old same old. Big wide roads, boring visuals...the biggest factor has been the heat. It says something when people seek out online feeds of the Giro but can't be bothered to watch TV televised stages of the ToC.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He has bias and is saying it for a reason, sponsor, easier step to TdF from ToC.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This. The Giro has been phenomenal thus far. California is the same old same old. Big wide roads, boring visuals.
While it's nice to see some new blood riding in the ToC the visuals are rough, wide straight roads don't cut it. It has to be tough for the riders as well, tough for the leaders to get out of sight and work hard to extend the lead, limited use of psychology for the race.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
This. The Giro has been phenomenal thus far. California is the same old same old. Big wide roads, boring visuals...the biggest factor has been the heat. It says something when people seek out online feeds of the Giro but can't be bothered to watch TV televised stages of the ToC.
Interesting. I've never ridden in CA but watching the ToC on TV makes me want to. Sure, the roads might be wide but the scenery is simply amazing. Of course, rural Europe is pretty amazing as well.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually so far both stages 1 and 2 of ToC featured the most exciting finishes. More exciting than Giro in fact, even with all the Wiggins drama. Giro is still more important, serious "Grand Tour" stage race and all that. But ToC features a lot of excitement - if you don't want to watch it, that's fine, but then you miss out on all excitement. Just sayin'.
Holy [email protected]! What have you been smokin' ?- whatever it is, hook a brother up!

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Interesting. I've never ridden in CA but watching the ToC on TV makes me want to. Sure, the roads might be wide but the scenery is simply amazing. Of course, rural Europe is pretty amazing as well.
Seeing the Dolomites and SoCal in the same day (on different races) which would you rather ride in?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.