Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has a sale on right now for their Primal Jerseys. I want to get one, but I am not sure of what size to get because of my body type. I'm 6'0 and 145-150lbs, and i'm 17. I am not sure whether to get the medium or the large. My weight is mostly from my lower body, but I have a long(ish) torso. When I tried the large on it felt a little loose, but it was the right length. The medium fit me tight around the hips/waist, but it felt a little bit short. Is there any specific guidelines that jerseys should fit by, or is it just personal preference. I mostly wear size large in normal t-shirts because I like them a little bit loose.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I tend to round down in jersey size, primarily for two reasons: 1) wind resistance and 2) (more important) the stuff in my pockets bounces less when I'm up out of the saddle.

I like 'em as tight as I can get without actually restricting motion, but as Dave says it's personal preference. One suggestion though: if you decide to go tighter but are worried about it riding up in back, this might be a good time to switch from shorts to bibs:).

·
Banned
976 Posts
That will be tough. . .

At 145-150 lbs, generally puts one at around 5-7" to 5-9" if in good shape. The problem I see is height, a medium will generally be geared for someone in the aforementioned height zone. You may end up in large.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes that is exactly the problem I am having, with height. Is there a certain length for how far down the jersey is supposed to go?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Shop around through different brands as well. Some have a tighter profile and are designed for people who are thin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would really prefer to get one of these jerseys because I like the way they look, and they are on sale, so they are much cheaper than any similar jerseys I have seen.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
5'11" 150lbs here. Average torso (not long)

There is the trade off with jerseys for people of our dimensions. Always I have to trade loose fit with length. I go for the large. Don't know about Primal - but Voler fit me the best.
Also tried Nalini, Castelli, Pearl and Descente

Second - if the op is 17 there is a chance he will fill out over the next year oor two - go large.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'm 6' and 143 lbs. Voler small club cut jerseys fit me well. They are close fitting and just long enough. Their medium race cut jerseys are ok but not quite as close fitting.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
ericm979 said:
I'm 6' and 143 lbs. Voler small club cut jerseys fit me well. They are close fitting and just long enough. Their medium race cut jerseys are ok but not quite as close fitting.
Isn't "club cut" normally a euphemism for 'portly' or even 'chubby'??

I'm 6'3" 155, and the only jerseys I can find that fit nice and tight and are long enough are from a company called "Squadra." They're also 100% made in the US which I like...I buy mine at a place in Orange County called Rock n' Road Cyclery whenever I get back to SoCal, which is often. It's their store-team jersey so I end up giving them free advertising all over France, but that's OK; I like being stared at, and their size L fits me like a glove. I don't know if it's on purpose, but it always seems like the employees in the shop there are taller than I am...

In general, European brand jerseys like Castelli, while really nice, tend to run tighter and even shorter than what you find in the US; men are shorter over here:).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Alterations

I'd buy the one that's long enough, and if it's not tight enough, alter it to make it fit. If you're a little handy with a sewing machine it's simple, but if not, any good tailor can do it. I'm surprised more people don't do this. I've altered many of my cycling clothes to get the fit I like.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
5'10" @ 152 +/- and average torso - I wear a large in all of the jersey makers I've tried/owned (Primal, Voler, LG, Sugoi, Nike, and Bellweather). I'd say go for the large - nothing worse than a jersey riding up you back - especially if you don't wear bibs. No matter how fit you are - the "plumber look" has no place on a bicycle :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
At 145-150 lbs, generally puts one at around 5-7" to 5-9" if in good shape. The problem I see is height, a medium will generally be geared for someone in the aforementioned height zone. You may end up in large.
I'm 5'9 185. What are you trying to tell me?:D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
"Isn't "club cut" normally a euphemism for 'portly' or even 'chubby'??"

Usually, that is what they mean, but if the jersey you want is only available in "club", just size down. I wear a L "race' cut in most maker's sizing, but a "M" in Voler club cut fits my fine. I'm 6' and 175 with a relatively small chest @ 40".

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
JCavilia said:
I'd buy the one that's long enough, and if it's not tight enough, alter it to make it fit. If you're a little handy with a sewing machine it's simple, but if not, any good tailor can do it. I'm surprised more people don't do this. I've altered many of my cycling clothes to get the fit I like.
Good idea. I feel stupid now that it never occurred to me on my own...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ibashii said:
Good idea. I feel stupid now that it never occurred to me on my own...
No reason to feel stupid. It's a matter of experience. People used to routinely expect to have clothes (all kinds) altered to fit; now we mostly buy things off the rack and accept so-so fit.

But what I really want to know is why you quote Sartre in your signature line. You don't sound like that cynical a person.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
JCavilia said:
No reason to feel stupid. It's a matter of experience. People used to routinely expect to have clothes (all kinds) altered to fit; now we mostly buy things off the rack and accept so-so fit.

But what I really want to know is why you quote Sartre in your signature line. You don't sound like that cynical a person.
OK, since this thread seems dead I'll bite:).

I'm not sure if cynical is the right word for Huis Clos; well OK it IS cynical, but the essence and genius of the book lies somewhere else. I don't know what to call it, but I do know that blindly embracing this 'je ne sais quoi' that lies somewhere between neurotic pessimism and a quixotic and never-ending search for the best way to enjoy every moment of the day is a big part of how I've been able to adapt to living amongst the French on a permanent basis...

...and this book is also important to me because it's one of the first whole books I read when I started learning the language (I started from scratch as an adult and it was damn hard).

BTW, 'No Exit' is an epically bad translation of the phrase Huis Clos. I don't know how that got past the first editor who saw it...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
tres interessant

Ibashii said:
OK, since this thread seems dead I'll bite:).

I'm not sure if cynical is the right word for Huis Clos; well OK it IS cynical, but the essence and genius of the book lies somewhere else. I don't know what to call it, but I do know that blindly embracing this 'je ne sais quoi' that lies somewhere between neurotic pessimism and a quixotic and never-ending search for the best way to enjoy every moment of the day is a big part of how I've been able to adapt to living amongst the French on a permanent basis...

...and this book is also important to me because it's one of the first whole books I read when I started learning the language (I started from scratch as an adult and it was damn hard).

BTW, 'No Exit' is an epically bad translation of the phrase Huis Clos. I don't know how that got past the first editor who saw it...
Merci. I agree that "cynical" is at least a great oversimplification of the ideas behind that play.

What would be your suggestion for a better translation of the title?

" . . .somewhere between neurotic pessimism and a quixotic and never-ending search for the best way to enjoy every moment of the day . . . " That's well put, though rather than somewhere between those two attitudes, i suspect you might really be talking about a paradoxical simultaneous expression of two apparently contradictory approaches to life. I can kind of see how that would work for a lot of people, and how it could promote both the great achievements of the French and their failings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts