Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got a question about jersey length. I've been riding a long time and I've always bought your basic one color no frills jersey which has been fine but I've noticed watching pro races that theirs tend to be much shorter and the pockets higher up on the back while mine tend to hang down near my butt. I think I'd like theirs much better.

I never have bought the ones w/ the logos of pro teams on them and am wondering if they are cut differently. I'm pretty avg in all proportions and don't have an unusually short torso or anything so I'm assuming the ones I wear are designed differently.

Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's just a case of different expectations.

The more expensive kit are shaped to fit the bodies of people who ride a lot (odd that).

So they tend to be narrower in the shoulders and shorter than the kit designed for the average Joe.

The more expensive stuff is designed to do what the serious rider wants. It has no excess material to flat around in the wind or move about, the zip will be easy to grab on the move whilst wearing gloves and the pockets will be in a position that is easy to reach.

The cheaper stuff is designed to be sold to people who buy stuff based on what they've always worn, so they will be loose fitting like a t-shirt.

Basically the expensive stuff is designed to be worn on the bike, the cheep stuff is designed to sell to people on the rack.

Now before anybody gets angry at me, I have no problem with the cheaper stuff, it's just that it is designed to meet the expectations of a different market. You see this a lot in the cycling market (bib and brace shorts v's baggies, road shoes v's skate style flats et.all)
This is even more pronounced in the MTB market.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Voler sells both a "club cut" which is a little looser/longer and a "race cut" which is a little tighter/shorter. Check out www.Velowear.com. They run sales from time to time and you can get good quality basic jerseys for about $30. I have a few of them and they are great everyday ride jerseys.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It depends a lot on "Gut Diameter". If you have a large "Gut Diameter", you are forced to buy a larger jersey. A larger jersey will be longer.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Just so you know- pockets halfway up your back are a major PITA. My teammates and I all have cut the top couple of inches off of at least one pocket of all our jerseys. So I highly recommend what Shades said... try a bunch of them on & see which ones you like- but take into account the "arm contortion factor" of the pockets if they seem to be really tall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.