Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Seat bags are for losers. It completely destroys the aesthetics of a race bike. If you can't carry it in your jersey pocket you don't need it.

People ask me why I don't carry a seat bag full of stuff, my replies is "Because you do."

:)

· Registered
6,078 Posts
Yeah, I see that too. Some guys ride with huge amounts of stuff crammed in the jersey pockets. Makes no sense to me. Why not just put tools and tubes that you need to take on every ride in a bag and carry food, money/ID and inflation devices in the jersey?

I carry a fair amount of stuff in a bag -- spoke wrench, chain breaker, SRAM link, 2 tubes, tire levers, Park patch kit, 2 CO2 cartridges, dimes for vending machines, wet wipe, emergency Power Bar, and a small set of hex wrenches. If I had to cram all that junk in my pockets, I'd probably end up forgetting something.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
I use a combination of the two.

My saddle bag: Spare tube, CO2 cartridges, house key, a couple of "Emergency" dollars for tire tears or bonking.

My jersey pockets: CO2 inflator, tire iron, patch kit with allen wrenches and GU packets.

I don't like the size/weight of carrying the tube and CO2 cartridges in my jersey...so that's why they are packed away in a saddle bag.

· RoadBikeReview Member
394 Posts
rydbyk said:
I see a lot of riders/racers opting to cram all belongings into their jersey pocket vs. using a seat bag.

Why? Any performance advantage here?

I use a very small/aero profile Jandd seat bag, but am I missing something here?
There are races (particularly crits) around here where seatbags are prohibited. Only choice is jersey pocket.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
cendres said:
Why would you carry any of this crap in a criterium anyway?
because I pedaled to the race from home, and plan on doing extra miles after the race.

other guys, just forget and leave their bags on.

I've never had an official even notice.... and if they told me to take it off, I'd ask why... the thing hasn't fallen off yet, what makes them think it's going to suddenly fall off now?

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
In the case of Ant v. Grasshopper, I don't care about "ruining" the look of the bike while I'm riding. Personally, I don't carry anything in a jersey pocket that I could potentially be impaled on during an accident. All that goes into a seat bag.

Plus, I know that if I carry something heavy in a jersey pocket I "feel" heavier. When that item is in a seat bag I "feel" lighter because I'm not continually aware of the weight, even though I know the overall weight of me+the bike is the same. It's one of the reasons I use panniers on my commuter rather than a backpack, as well. YMMV.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
"And my seven year old Palm Treo in my jersey pocket."
Always at hand to call a friend if you get bored on a solo breakaway.........I do it all the time.

On a training ride, I carry tube, CO2, etc. in a bag. Everything else in jersey pockets, including a phone for emergencies. In a race, just Gu packs in my left jersey pocket.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It has nothing to do with speed or performance.

It has everything to do with "Coolness"

Two tubes, an inflator, two extra CO2 carts, tire levers and a spoke wrench don't take up much room. I have to admit than when you shove your arm and knee warmers in there, it gets rather full.................but that just makes you look "cooler".

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
rydbyk said:
I see a lot of riders/racers opting to cram all belongings into their jersey pocket vs. using a seat bag.

Why? Any performance advantage here?
Haven't you heard? A seat bag and its contents is extra weight on the bike. Moving the weight to your jersey pockets will lighten the bike and help make you a gazelle on the flats, a mountain goat on the climbs.

(Yes, some people apparently actually believe that ... :mad2:)

I too use a combination of both. My bike wears a tiny wedge bag that contains, basically, the stuff I won't need to touch unless I dismount: spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, CO2 carts, inflator, a tiny screwdriver, a few zip ties. My jersey pockets carry the stuff I might need while riding: lip balm, squirt bottle of ammonia, energy bar, and a plastic pouch containing my cell phone, ID, and money. I actually don't need the last three items while pedaling but carrying them in my jersey pocket makes them easier to get to, and ensures that I don't forget and leave them on the bike after finishing my ride.

· Registered
12,083 Posts
Opus51569 said:
In the case of Ant v. Grasshopper, I don't care about "ruining" the look of the bike while I'm riding. Personally, I don't carry anything in a jersey pocket that I could potentially be impaled on during an accident. All that goes into a seat bag.
If I have to go and it cannot be in the company of 5 naked blonds, please let it be by a pedro tire lever through the liver :)

· Registered
30 Posts
seat bags = truck balls
especially ones that are not strapped tight and sway back and forth

Reactions: jpdigital

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
den bakker said:
If I have to go and it cannot be in the company of 5 naked blonds, please let it be by a pedro tire lever through the liver :)

Pedro tire levers in the liverz is the 3rd leading cause of death amongst cyclists. Look it up. It's science. :)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.