Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while reading the Velonews TDF Preview, they clearly stated the Green jersey is the second most prestigious of all the jerseys. While I know Yellow is untouchable, doesn't the Polka Dot Jersey receive the same payout as the Green?
Obviously if you are a sprinter then you might favor Green or a climber, Polka Dots.
Which is more "prestigious", Green or Polka Dots.
I'd have to say Polka Dots.
paz afuera

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
The winners of the green jersey generally are like rock stars. They are the bad boys that come into town and steal your girlfriend, a-la Mario Cippollini

Hill Climbers are the skinny 90lb dorks that get shoved into lockers.

· Registered
1,771 Posts
brianmcg said:
The winners of the green jersey generally are like rock stars. They are the bad boys that come into town and steal your girlfriend, a-la Mario Cippollini

Hill Climbers are the skinny 90lb dorks that get shoved into lockers.
I don't recall imagery being used to make a point better than this. Ever. Excellent post!

JSR

· World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
Yuck.

· Registered
525 Posts
Polka dot winners are rarely the best climber but are willing to go out on suicide breakaways while the rest of the pack doesn't care.

Green jersey winners are consistently among the top sprinters throughout the race.

I go with the green jersey having more prestige.

· Registered
960 Posts
Green over Polka Dot, no doubt about it...

The Green is contested during stages where you (most likely) have the entire field looking to take the win... And if you're a "good" climber, with a focus to win that Jersey, well there seems to be about 5 guys in the hunt for that Jersey... Not a group of 200 that includes the world's fastest guys... Besides, sprinting for points twice or 3 times throughout the stage vs. sprinting against the whole field for the stage win is Sooooo much more exciting.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Not to mention that the green jersey has been around longer.

It always feels to me like there is never the sort of fierce competition for KoM points that there is for green jersey points.

Green jersey competition seems totally independent of GC considerations, while KoM points are won during the most important GC stages. A guy would (rightfully) sacrifice KoM points if he or a teammate were in GC contention.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
What, no love for the white? :D

Last year we had this discussion, and basically it's what thebadger said. The green is older, and you can't win it over the course of two days.

· Registered
346 Posts
Definately Green - the KoM is just a distraction for riders who should be contending for the overall but aren't. I'm not sure the age argument works though - the KoM classification was started in 1933, even though the jersey was only introduced in 1975. The points classification and jersey were both introduced in 1953, so its kinda younger.

I think a very strong case could be made that their relative importance has switched over since the 1980s - before that a lot of the KoM contenders were also overall contenders, and it was probably the more prestigious of the two.

· Dopers ruin sport
508 Posts
I think the KOM jersey is more prestigious hands down

For one I can't really sit through a road stage of the Tour bores me to death. On the other hand with the KOM you have to attack hopefully stay away and still have enough energy afterwards to get the KOM points and have energy left over to win the stage. With the green jersey you are pulled to the line by your team, if your going for the KOM you hopefully have a good team to help you up the mountains.

They are both hard jerseys to win I just think the KOM is more prestigious to win.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
roadie92 said:
I think the KOM jersey is more prestigious hands down

For one I can't really sit through a road stage of the Tour bores me to death. On the other hand with the KOM you have to attack hopefully stay away and still have enough energy afterwards to get the KOM points and have energy left over to win the stage. With the green jersey you are pulled to the line by your team, if your going for the KOM you hopefully have a good team to help you up the mountains.

They are both had jerseys to win I just think the KOM is more prestigious to win.
Nope. Why? Coz if a rider has both the green and polka dot jersey, he'd have to wear the green with the 2nd place best climber wearing the polka dot.

It's not what I think, it's just what it is from what I read.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Here are Chris Horner's thoughts on the polka dot jersey [emphasis mine]:

The mountains jersey is supposed to signify the best climber in the Tour, but the favourites often leave the mountain points to lesser riders. "It absolutely never occurred in my mind to go for something like that because I was always 100 percent working for Cadel," explains Horner. "And it never occurred to Cadel to get points for that because it might affect his GC one way or another."

So who will be contending for the polka dot jersey? "Anybody who can't ride top-10 in the Tour and anybody who's not there to ride for their guy who is top-10 in the Tour. Anyone who can ride top-10 in the Tour is going to have one or two guys that, if they are really doing their job well, they shouldn't be doing anything except being close to their guy at the most crucial time in the race. If they are going up the road every day trying to get mountain points that's not really helping their guy out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=/riders/2008/interviews/tour08_chris_horner

· Registered
378 Posts
Saab disagrees.
Instant Win Game prizes: i) TWENTY-THREE (23) PHASE ONE PRIZES (one per day from June 28-July 12, July 16-July 19 and July 24-July 27, 2008): Yellow Jersey. Jersey may be signed. Sponsors will determine the size of the jersey and the person that will sign it (if applicable) in their sole discretion. ARV: $50. ii) FIVE (5) PHASE TWO PRIZE (one per day on July 13, 14, 20, 22, & 23, 2008): Polka Dot Jersey. Jersey may be signed. Sponsors will determine the size of the jersey and the person that will sign it (if applicable) in their sole discretion. ARV: $140. iii) TWO (2) PHASE THREE PRIZES (one per day on July 15th and July 21st, 2008): Polka Dot Jersey and Cervélo SLC-SL Bicycle. Jersey may be signed.

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
The gogo dancers clipped in via harnesses to the open top of a double-decker screaming down the road and blaring techno is far more entertaining to watch than the freaky murals Champion was rolling in the publicity caravan (in the '05 edition, anyway).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.