Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's funny how certain things surprise you with their age. I was looking around at some of my albums tonight and noticed some of my favorites are 20 years old this year:

Depeche Mode - Violator
The Cure - Disintegration
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

The Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Sessions is 21 as well. I got into NIN later but grew up with the others as a little kid but it seems like yesterday. How does this happen? I know that I'm young but it just struck me tonight for some reason.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Wow. Violator and Disintegration are pretty late offerings from both of those bands, as far as I'm concerned.

The Cure's first hit was in 1979. THIRTY years ago.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My 8th grade history teacher turned me on to Bruce Springsteen and "Born to Run". Back in the day. Sadly, my favorite albums are 30+ years ago. Or a little bit more. :)

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
This be my shiznit

little bit newer

i wanna make a video of me and some of the buds out in the local trails to this.....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
pretty hate machine may be on my top 10 of best ever

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
It's funny how certain things surprise you with their age. I was looking around at some of my albums tonight and noticed some of my favorites are 20 years old this year:

Depeche Mode - Violator

The Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Sessions is 21 as well. I got into NIN later but grew up with the others as a little kid but it seems like yesterday. How does this happen? I know that I'm young but it just struck me tonight for some reason.
these all bring back memories of just being out of high school, and not sure what to do besides take acid and wonder where my life will take me. ahhhh good times, sometimes but not always. :cornut: :confused: :cryin:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Jesus Girsch......you just reminded me that I was too old to like this music....when it came out!

Sigh

Len

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
There was a funny article on this recently, if I can find it I'll post the link, but the gist of it was this: think of an album that, to you, is not that old, say U2's "The Joshua Tree". That came out 23 years ago, in 1986. I was in the middle of my undergard years in college. Now, what album was 23 years old in 1986? "Please Please Me" by The Beatles. Didn't that seem like ancient history in '86? I mean, that's what old hippies listened to. But The Joshua Tree, that's not old, right?

Right?

Speak up, I can't hear you.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Len J said:
Jesus Girsch......you just reminded me that I was too old to like this music....when it came out!

Sigh

Len
Sorry. I'll be thinking the same thing about the current crappy music about 20 years from now I reckon.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:

Sigh

Len
Depeche Mode - Violator

//Nah...Depeche Mode always sucked, The Cure was well into suckdom by Disintegration, and I never did get into Trent Reznor's ranting and raving all that much. :cryin:

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
//Nah...Depeche Mode always sucked, The Cure was well into suckdom by Disintegration, and I never did get into Trent Reznor's ranting and raving all that much. :cryin:
Why do you hate music, gramps?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
But for real, new music just doesn't compare........right??? It's all corporate-generated schlock nowadays. Produced for the whippersnappers.

And if we're deaf, it's b/c of listening to loud music back in the day. Today's music fans will be even MORE deaf at a younger age due to the iPods, dammit.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I'm so old that I had a girl friend whose claim to fame was that she danced the Twist with Chubby Checker, back in the day in Philly.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
and that is

bikeboy389 said:
Wow. Violator and Disintegration are pretty late offerings from both of those bands, as far as I'm concerned.

The Cure's first hit was in 1979. THIRTY years ago.
what I was thinking

The Top was their last decent record and it had a few bits of silliness

Saw the Cure when the opened of Siouxsie and the Banshees in 1981 or 82, back when Robert Smith did double duty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts