Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1988 Fuji Opus IV steel frame set. It is a Japanese made frame.

I wanted to swap parts from a newer bike to the older frame but ran in to a problem with the BB. I have an Ultegra Octa-lik BB that I tried to install. The BB would thread in about one turn and then stop. It is a thread issue, it is not cross threaded either.

I THINK the frame uses JIS BB threads. I tried to do some searching on the topic and I found one obscure suggestion to use a Italian BB instead. Any ideas?

Does Shimano make a JIS threaded Octalink BB or an Italian one if it would work? Does anyone make a ISIS JIS BB (I have another crank I could use)?

The bike originally was parted with Shimano Sante (some rare white painted groupo that Shimano made for just a few years). The BB was a square taper type.

Thanks

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I would take it to an LBS and have them chase the threads.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is such a thing as JIS BB cup threading... spindle/crank interface yes but BB cup, no. Check the drive side threads, if they tighten to the left, it isn't Italian threaded as it would tighten to the right. See Sheldon Brown's bit on bottom brackets.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Check this

English BB cups either almost fall or do fall into an italian bb shell. Italian bb shells are 70 mm wide others are 68. There is probably paint and junk in the threads or they are a little boogered. I am always amazed how much junk and metal comes out when I retap or chase the BB threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.