Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a repeat of a message I left on the old forum.

I had a tech person at a maunfacturer say I could use their standard JIS taper BB with a Campagnolo crank. He said it would pull onto the spindle nice and tight, but it would deform the crank interface enough that he recommended not going back to a Campy BB afterward. This makes sense to me since the crank is made out of softer metal than the BB spindle.

Has anyone done this? I'd like to know if it works for sure before I do something that is irreversible.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
bad idea...

The campy crank will not pull onto the spindle as far as intended, by 3-5mm, making the chainline incorrect. The shortest JIS spindle is 103mm while Campy's is 102mm, which will increae the chinline error by another 1mm, assuming a Record or Chorus crank.

I guess is you want a cheap alternative to a 111mm spindle Campy Centaur BB, a 107mm Shimano would do, but it could cause permanent deformation of the crank, since it's larger than the Campy spindle.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't know what the guy told you..

But I suspect it was more to tell you that you "could" use a JIS spindle, but he was correct in telling you that once you do, you won't be able to use a Campy (or any other ISO) spindle again. Why would you really want to do this? Like C-40 said, your chainline won't be right. So don't destroy your crank just to have bad chainline. Just get the right spindle with the right taper and length. It's not worth destroying a crank over.

Russ

·
Registered
777 Posts
JBF said:
This is a repeat of a message I left on the old forum.

I had a tech person at a maunfacturer say I could use their standard JIS taper BB with a Campagnolo crank. He said it would pull onto the spindle nice and tight, but it would deform the crank interface enough that he recommended not going back to a Campy BB afterward. This makes sense to me since the crank is made out of softer metal than the BB spindle.

Has anyone done this? I'd like to know if it works for sure before I do something that is irreversible.
In a word... don't. From the Branford Bike website:

Bottom Bracket Compatibility - length and tapers
All cranks must be matched with a specific length bottom bracket spindle. Triple cranks or frames with oversize seat tubes require slightly longer bottom bracket spindles.
Shimano and almost every major bottom bracket maker have traditionally used the same spindle end cross section of 12.9 mm and two degree taper. Campagnolo uses the same two degree taper but has a smaller starting cross section of 12.7 mm.
A Shimano crank arm will bottom out on Campagnolo spindle. A Campagnolo crank arm will not draw far enough onto a Shimano spindle.

From me:
Since the spindle is steel, and the crank is aluminum, the crank will deform itself to conform to the spindle. Buy the Campy BB, or, better yet, get a Phil.

--Shannon

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
I agree with everyone else- this is a horrible idea. Just get a Campy BB. If money is an issue get one from Ebay or the classsifieds here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts