Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bikes make girls hotter!
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here doing the 2013 Joe Martin event? I am in the 34+ C5 group and having a go at the TT hill climb, RR and crit. I watched it all go down as a volunteer last year but this year I have convinced myself to get the spare wheel set healthy and race. You only live once right;

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I should be doing it. I've done it the last 2 years.

How's the weather down there? I got killed 2 years ago when I came from an abnormally cold spring in my area to a very hot and humid JMSR.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I should be doing it. I've done it the last 2 years.

How's the weather down there? I got killed 2 years ago when I came from an abnormally cold spring in my area to a very hot and humid JMSR.

Well gee let's see... last weekend in April... should be getting pretty warm... chance of thunderstorms... yep

·
Bikes make girls hotter!
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have had an extended winter this year. We've been racing in the snow and sleet last few weeks. This year it is cooler and our trees are just beginning to leaf, last year in all the race pics everything was green and it felt like July.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Good to know. LOL, I was planning on bundling up a bit excessively to get used to heat. I ran into a Masters Cat 4 who always bundles up at JMSR because he comes from a really hot location. I thought it was odd as hell seeing someone wearing arm warmers the last 2 years.

·
Bikes make girls hotter!
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure I talked to that same guy, he had introduced himself and explained to me who the bad asses were in the womens while they were recon sprinting that last mile before their race.

Right now I can say I have been wearing a thin long sleeved base under my jersey and when you make that right turn back on to 265 to come back towards Hogeye it is VERY cross windy down the 45 mph big drops and turns. The chip seal section has been putting my hands nearly to sleep and causing some punctures. The tail wind from Hogeye back to the baseball stadium is giving me a false sense of Cavendish like powers. If it doesn't rain Saturday will be some fast racing:thumbsup:

If you do make the trip I will be the slow C5 in an Athlete Forward jersey ha!

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Was he wearing some kind of orange kit and from somewhere like Maryland?

Pretty sure I'll be making the final decisions on Monday or so. Kinda depends what my friend wants to do that weekend.

I hope it's dry since I don't know the terrain very well and I bounced around enough on the crit course from those damn bricks as is.

·
Bikes make girls hotter!
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do remember he was wearing some orange shirt and had kinda but not really longish hair. The city loves those bricks, they look so great blah blah. Damn.

·
Bikes make girls hotter!
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a link to the professional photos from the 4 day NRC event. I love that we have a major race like this in my own hometown.

My TT was sloppy and wet as was the RR. Luckily on Sunday for the criterium it was dry and warm! I didn't do well as I should have, during the RR the first crash happening near me separated us up pretty good just before the biggest climb of the weekend known as 'the wall'. So with a wall in between some of us and the main group there was no hope. I am told to be happy with a 24th overall finish but I trained very hard for this event and should have done better for myself. Great times though.. great times!

I found lots of quality pics in there of myself and friends racing but the images can't be saved apparently so I think might just pay for one down the road sometime. Paco says' this is the race he loves to hate so check out all of the pros, they look great and raced on some pretty slick roads!

NWAPhoto.com > Commuinty Events and other Sports 2013 > Joe Martin Stage Race 2013

Reactions: Local Hero

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I ended up unable to go. Permission denied. Ended up doing a race in Iowa City as part of a family vacation. I've felt like crap this season and wasn't really in any condition to do the race this year.

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a really good time there last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.