Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally have landed another interview for a local librarian position. The job is for a position in one the local small library in the country where I live (5 branches, serving towns of less than 1,000 people each, rural). Anyway, the position is actually management level, and though I have a small amount of management experience (running a local earn-a-bike charity a few years ago), I would be extremely new to the management game.

From those with management experience, any suggestions, both on ways to broaden my horizons and/or just experiences in handling management duties starting out.

Thanks.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
I just have a minute, but....

Think in terms of management of personnel, budgets, and resources. Anything you can do to speak to those issues in terms of things you have done, and how the library job would have similar things you would do, that should help in the interview process. The charity had money flow, and people to get to places at certain time and do certain things, and recruitment, and stuff to keep track of, right?

gotta run.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dr hoo said:
I just have a minute, but....

Think in terms of management of personnel, budgets, and resources. Anything you can do to speak to those issues in terms of things you have done, and how the library job would have similar things you would do, that should help in the interview process. The charity had money flow, and people to get to places at certain time and do certain things, and recruitment, and stuff to keep track of, right?

gotta run.
thanks Hoo, but man that sounded too much like the literature that I have to read at work now.
:D

Really, yeah, that is angles that I need to take.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
lousylegs said:
thanks Hoo, but man that sounded too much like the literature that I have to read at work now.
:D

Really, yeah, that is angles that I need to take.

lousy,

there is no way you'll get this job. its way to far above your capabilities. somebody had to tell you, just sorry it was me.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bill105 said:
lousy,

there is no way you'll get this job. its way to far above your capabilities. somebody had to tell you, just sorry it was me.
Bill you are always the ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Lousy...if you don't know it, fake it. Believe me...I've faked my way into jobs before and 99% of the time I found that I knew what I was doing more than I thought I did and that nobody else noticed my inexperience. Of course, if you are really in above your head then say so, but I bet you know more about "management" than you think you do.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Bill you are always the ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Lousy...if you don't know it, fake it. Believe me...I've faked my way into jobs before and 99% of the time I found that I knew what I was doing more than I thought I did and that nobody else noticed my inexperience. Of course, if you are really in above your head then say so, but I bet you know more about "management" than you think you do.
this is how i get through all situations in life. lie about qualifications and then fake it for a couple weeks. its also worked really well in school. i call it testing my raw knowledge

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
yarble said:
this is how i get through all situations in life. lie about qualifications and then fake it for a couple weeks. its also worked really well in school. i call it testing my raw knowledge
Did you ever see that movie called CatchMe if You Can? With Tom Hanks and Leo DeCaprio? Based on a true story of a guy who lied his way into a number of positions including airline pilot, doctor, etc. Fascinating how he was able to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2330599-1582321?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Did you ever see that movie called CatchMe if You Can? With Tom Hanks and Leo DeCaprio? Based on a true story of a guy who lied his way into a number of positions including airline pilot, doctor, etc. Fascinating how he was able to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2330599-1582321?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
good movie. too bad christopher walken died in it. that guy also forged alot alot alot of checks.

if you have the least bit of confidence people will believe anything you say.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yarble said:
good movie. too bad christopher walken died in it. that guy also forged alot alot alot of checks.

if you have the least bit of confidence people will believe anything you say.
Hey, there is the solution for raising money for a new bike, forging checks, thanks Yarble

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
The charity thing is a good one, but there should be more of it. Exagerate anything you have done that even remotely resembles management. Are you active in the local bike club? Let them know, employers dig people who are into sports and are actively involved in it. Let them feel you are a guy that's really making a contribution. People are hired on basis of the impression they make, let it be one they like.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
lousylegs said:
Hey, there is the solution for raising money for a new bike, forging checks, thanks Yarble
be careful what you wish for. i was wanting a new bike off and on for some time, then one day a semi truck hit me. yea, i got the new bike, but not really the way i wanted it to happen.

what bike are you lusting after?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yarble said:
be careful what you wish for. i was wanting a new bike off and on for some time, then one day a semi truck hit me. yea, i got the new bike, but not really the way i wanted it to happen.

what bike are you lusting after?
Well, dream bike would be Pegoretti Marcelo, but cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money.

Really what I want is the Burley Wolf Creek frame/fork for $850 and would just transfer parts, or if I can convince wife, buy the Wolf Creek (full Dura-Ace, etc, for about $3,400).

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
lousylegs said:
Well, dream bike would be Pegoretti Marcelo, but cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money.

Really what I want is the Burley Wolf Creek frame/fork for $850 and would just transfer parts, or if I can convince wife, buy the Wolf Creek (full Dura-Ace, etc, for about $3,400).
without fail, when you get it it will either rain or be so windy you cant ride. either that or youll fail to unclip in time. after that youll hopefully have many happy miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts