Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The SmartHead ThreadLock failed on my Joe Blow X.O. after 6-7 months. Anyone else have this pump and have it stop threading onto presta valves?

I generally like the pump, but am a bit annoyed that it failed after 6-7 months, especially since MSRP is $150 and that this is the second Topeak pump that has just failed. And yes, the head can be replaced, but still a hassle.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
[deleted] ..............

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
This part fails on Joe Blow pumps as well as many other brands. It's a common failure point regardless of how expensive the pump is. 6 months seems very early unless you use it a few times a day. 2-3 years isn't uncommon.

Replace the head, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This part fails on Joe Blow pumps as well as many other brands. It's a common failure point regardless of how expensive the pump is. 6 months seems very early unless you use it a few times a day. 2-3 years isn't uncommon.

Replace the head, rinse, repeat.
It shouldn't be a common failure part and not after six months of use. That it failed so soon speaks to a failure to field test the part.

Topeak did send a new head for free, but I'm still wondering why a $150 pump had a part fail so quickly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm curious how or what about it failed? My favorite chuck is the Topeak Twinhead with the yellow lever. Easy on/off and I've used it regularly for many years only replacing the gasket in it a few times.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I'm curious how or what about it failed? My favorite chuck is the Topeak Twinhead with the yellow lever. Easy on/off and I've used it regularly for many years only replacing the gasket in it a few times.
^^^Same experience here. Had it for many years and had to replace the gasket once.

OP I know it's not what you want to hear but if you can adapt your pump to use this (Amazon.com : Topeak Twinhead Bicycle Floor Pump Upgrade Kit : Floor Bike Pumps : Sports & Outdoors) then you will be setfor a long, long, time. If you get this (http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Rebuil...xgy_468_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0134X76CPXX88RM6Y75W) at the same time you may very well be set for the rest of your life. Yep, a twin head ain't as sexy as some other chucks but they these just plain work in my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.