Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a poll to see who is the reigning king of custom wheels? I have read and heard a lot about Dave Thomas of Speeddream wheels but it seems that all the talk lately is of Joe and Mike. Am I missing anyone else? A LBS owner I know did say that it was hit or miss with Speeddreams. He stated that some were great and others he couldn't believe they were custom builds. Granted he is a bikeshop owner so I took it with a grain of salt. I ask because I have been looking at some Neuvations, Eurus, Rolf Elans or Vigors to replace my stock Colnago Balance (Veloce hubs/Ambrosio rims.) After reading some posts re: Joe Y and Mike G, I may consider a custom build with DT or King hubs. I want aero first, lightness second (still under 1600g would be ideal). Thanks and Ride`ON!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had Dave and Joe build wheels for me.

Dave's build: Mtn wheelset.
Bontrager Valiant rim
DT 240 hubs
DT spokes

Never touched a spoke wrench to them. Front hub was radial laced. After 6 years it finally cracked. Rear wheel is going strong.

Joe's bulid: Road wheelset
DT RR 1.1 rim
DT240S hubs
DT super comp spokes
28 2X fr 32 3X rear

1 season so far. Lots of miles. Haven't touched a spoke wrench to them yet. Smacked a pot hole hard and also ran over a 2X4. Not on purpose! Darn group rides. Anyway, very solid wheelset.

Good experience with both guys. Don't know why but I'd give a slight edge to Dave. I hammered those wheels he built. Next time though, I will specify at least 2 cross for the front.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Any reason why you didn't mention Ligero? He's getting a lot of good comments over at Weight Weenies. Also, I think Ergott builds? He worships over at the Serotta Cult Indoctrination site, as well as here. Ligero haunts this place, too.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I vote for Mike

Ride-Fly said:
Just a poll to see who is the reigning king of custom wheels?
Personally, I think it is hard to beat the ones you build yourself... so I'll vote for Mike because he also sells some parts for good prices.

Somebody wrote on another thread that Mike builds all the wheels himself... I find that hard to believe... unless his sales volume is lower than I thought. I mean... he is super willing to talk on the phone forever... I don't know when he'd ever have time to actually build the wheels and run the business, too. I assumed that he had at least 1 or 2 other people busy putting the wheels together. Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I thought I would give my take on each builder.

1. Dave Thomas- Has built more wheels then almost anyone. His builds are on the lighter end of the spectrum but weight is never put in front of durabilty.

2. Joe Young- Huge amounts of experience, has built wheels for world champions. His builds tend to be heavier but built to last a lifetime.

3. Mike Garcia- Sells more wheels then all of us and is a good wheelbuilder at the same time. His builds are on the lighter side but tries to build for certain price points by using his own brand components.

4. Ergott- I don't really know anything about him except what I have seen on his website and by seeing questions he answers on this forum. Based on those things he seems to really know his stuff and I would buy from him if I was looking for a wheelbuilder.

5. Ligero, Troy Watson- Of coarse this is my favorite but I may be slightly biased. My builds are the lightest I can safely build for a person without worrying about durablity. I won't sell something that I would not use or have not used myself. I also have obscure parts like Pillar ti spokes and FiberFlyte carbon nipples.

So all of the above builders will build you a great pair of wheels but you need to talk to all of them and decide who fits better for what you are wanting.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My somewhat limited experience:

Garcia: Has built three wheels for me. Have spent literally hours on the phone with him talking wheels, but always seem end up with a fairly standard build: Black, 32-spoke Velocity Aeroheads with Speedcific hubs. I threw two of his wheels badly out of true, one in a crash and another in a near crash. I trued one and sent the other one back to him. He has a crash replacement policy--repairs at cost, I believe. Nice guy. Will work to get special parts, if you request them.

Ergott: Just had my first set of wheels built by him. Tune hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, DT Aerolite spokes. Local guy (Long Island, NY) so wanted to try someone in my backyard. Have not tried the wheels yet, but he seems to really know his stuff. He says they are 1430 grams.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't know about Ligero or Ergot

Thanks Alienator. Thanks Ligero for including your website, I will have a look. Does Ergot have a website? Am I assuming correctly that mosy all of you folks wouldd suggest custom builds over high-end production wheelsets like Campy, Rolfs, Mavics, etc??

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Thanks Alienator. Thanks Ligero for including your website, I will have a look. Does Ergot have a website? Am I assuming correctly that mosy all of you folks wouldd suggest custom builds over high-end production wheelsets like Campy, Rolfs, Mavics, etc??
Of coarse we recomend cuctom builds over pre-builts. Ergott website is www.ergottwheels.com

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thumbs up for Mike Garcia and for Ligero

Especially for Ligero and his non-biased posting. I have seen this many times on these boards, and while I had Mike build my wheels I have a huge amount of respect for Ligero. I also have yet to see a bad post about his wheels.

Mike does a lot of work with Speedcific, but I had him build me a sweet set of Velocity Aeroheads with DT Swiss 240s hubs. Great price, look fabulous, and are SMOOTH as silk.

Downside to working with Mike is that, well, let's just say you HAVE to call him. You will get emails back from Alex (his wife), but often takes a few days. I talked to him 2x during the build process. He was very patient in answering my questions, and I couldn't be happier with the quality, price, or advice.

Again, while I didn't go with Ligero I do love his support of RBR and based on the positive feedback I wouldn't hesitate to give him a try for my next set (just don't tell my wife, as I promised her this last set was the last one for awhile!)

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Sort of second that

divve said:
I go with Divve wheels. He builds them exactly as Divve requires them to be.
Personally, I've had great luck with Kerry Irons wheels, which I've used pretty much continuously since the mid-70s with one side trip to the dark side with boutique wheels, but never again. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had wheels built by both Mike Garcia www.oddsandendos.com and Eric Gottesman www.ergottwheels.com and can highly recommend both of them. The only way to communicate with Mike is as stated, by telephone. Eric will answer emails the same day he receives them and he is also very patient and very helpful before you order.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Dave built me my first pair of racing wheels.

9 years ago, and I still use them a lot. Velocity deep dish, Am. Classics hubs, sapim spokes. Still light and still right. I sent them back once because a nipple broke. He replaced it FOC (minus my shipping charge). I'd have him do another pair in a heart beat. Really. I think that I'll skip on over to his site now. I have not been there in a while.

Oh and, because Ligero posts here, I'm heading over that way tonight too.

BT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts