Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks, i have been thinking about getting involved with a racing team but not exactly sure what sort of commitment is involved. im a relative n00bie, soon to get my cat4 upgrade and am interested in hooking up with a few other racers to train and race together in the local racing circuit. My concern is that work and family life consume alot of time and dont want to make a comitment i cant keep.

I know every team works differently and was wondering if you'd like to share your level in involvement. (time/financial/# races/meetings) etc..

-pom

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Every Team/Club is different.
My club is rather large, with over 200 members, of which 100 race most weekends. Our dues are $35 per year, and we are expected, at least for non-racers to buy a team jersey. If you're racing often, you're going to want at least two jerseys and two bibs, so you're talking $200 for clothes and $35 for membership.
You don't have to be on the same team, to train with riders, but it helps. On our club, you can race as often as you like, and can show up for parties an meetings, or not.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Get to know the teams in your area. Most teams will welcome other riders on their training rides, see if you enjoy riding with them. Being in the military and moving every three years, I have been on several different teams and ridden with many others on training rides. You may find that the team doesn't meet your expectations on the length or intensity of their training rides. There may be a reason why or maybe you need to keep looking. When I was stationed in Va Beach, VA, my time was at a premium and I would get irritated when the rides started late or spent too much time regrouping. I ended up training with another team that had set schedules and followed a plan on their rides according to the day of the week. You knew what to expect when you showed up. As far as costs, Mr G covered that. As far as a committment to the team for training, training rides are where you determine each other's strength. Some guys are natural sprinters, some can win a race by attacking a few kilometers out, some can get in a breakaway and maintain a gap, and some are workers (domestiques) that set up sprints and block for breakaways. I always found it irritating to show up for a race and see a bunch of guys wearing the team kit whom I had never seen at a training ride. The balance between family life and training is tough. I see alot of families that bring tent shelters ( available at Sam's or Costco) and basically make it a family outing with a picnic while they watch daddy do laps at a crit or road race. I did that yesterday. The tent is also guaranteed shade for your warmup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.