Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5 months ago, I had a knee injury from a hyperextension during a soccer game. I had a high grade tear of my PCL and a grade 1 tear of my MCL. Cycling has done wonders for regaining my flexibility and the atrophy that occurred following the injury. I went to the ortho dr. and a few weeks of rehab and wasn't really thrilled with them at all. It seemed like I spent only 20-30% of my rehab time on the right exercises for my injury.

They said it would probably be 12 months before it was 100% but should be mostly healed within 6 months, but my knee definitely reminds me that it isn't all better if I have it bent a certain angles or sit wrong for a while.

I would like to know if anyone has had any good experience with specific exercises or supplements for knee ligament damage. I was at the drug store the other day and saw those supplements for joint strength, but back when I was going to rehab they told me that it took months for them to have any real effect and even then it was minimal. Any real world recommendations? I just started riding a few months ago and I would like to do my first century this summer and possibly a triathalon. I am not concerned with my finishing position as much as just finishing.

I normally ride about 25 miles per ride and haven't ridden any farther than 38 miles at this point, but on those length rides I can feel that my knee isn't all the way healed. It doesn't really hurt or bother me as much as I can just tell it's not 100% inside. It also isn't sore the next day. I guess my concern is that it might not be ready for a 100 mile ride by summer. I was curious if there is something that has helped any of you other than regular riding. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Glucosamine

As far as supplements with any scientific support, glucosamine-chondroitin is the only thing I've heard of. And we're not talking miracles or something that works for everyone. Not expensive and no known risks, so it won't hurt to try it. Often reported that it takes 3-4 months before you see the full effect.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Weight lifting has helped my knees, which are messed up from running. Strenghtening the muscles around the knees helps support them. When I got back into riding after being sedentary, my knees were very weak. I did leg presses and forwards and backwards leg curls. Start easy and concentrate on form, only moving up in weight as you feel that you have the form down.
It takes a few months to see results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts