Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know he isn't a cyclist that competes, but an MMA fighter. His last positive test raises a curious question for me. UFC is a USADA governed sport. He was arrested for running over a pregnant woman while drunk driving a few years ago. He hit the woman with his car, fled the scene on foot, and the police simply read the registration in his car to find him. The car had dealer levels of cocaine in it. When they "arrested" him, he was drunk. Mysteriously, he wasn't tested for five hours from the time of arrest. Flash forward six months later, the police department has lost all of the evidence, and UFC has paid off the woman, so she won't press charges. His lifetime ban from the sport is six months.

He is entered to fight in UFC200 last year. He returns a positive test for PED prior to the fight, is given a lifetime ban by UFC and the fight is cancelled.

He fights in UFC214 last month, wins his title back after another lifetime ban being commuted to one year. Now it is coming out that he tested positive for PEDS again, but before the fight. UFC had the results before the fight happened, and they let the fight happen again. Clearly the cost of cancelling another big ticket fight is their reasoning for letting a fight happen knowing the fighter has tested positive. MMA fans are saying, but they haven't stripped his title and the B-sample hasn't come back yet. I sort of chuckle at them when they say this. As a cycling fan, I know that if A is positive, B will be also. They are clinging to hope for this guy for some reason however. He clearly uses constantly, and doesn't even do it good enough to not get caught. My question is, what validation does UFC get if they let an athlete participate in an event with a positive test? USADA administers testing in the sport. What fallout does UFC face from USADA? Where is Travis Tygart?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Zero. You're not understanding how it works.

An "in competition" test doesn't mean they do the test, get the results, and all before the fight.

Testing takes lots of time. They can be tested before a fight, a week or more before, and not have results until after the fight is over by a week or so.

In any case he's always been dirty, hardly ever did any training in his career, just another example of why not to idolize any professional athlete.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The news is the fact they had the results before the fight. I actually just went to USADA's website to see the UFC policies. I get it now. Read through their penalties. It is fairly harsh and similar penalties with cycling except...UFC can set aside any penalties they choose if they determine the fault isn't that athletes. So it is a get out of jail free card. All it takes is a celeb saying "I didn't do it", and UFC can say sweet. Penalty and suspension revoked. What a joke. Start reading this about page 20 (not that hard as it is for UFC, so lots of small words and lots of pictures) if you want to see a drug policy that can still do whatever it wants, sponsored by USADA for legitimacy.
https://ufc.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/UFC-anti-doping-policy-EN.pdf

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I know he isn't a cyclist that competes, but an MMA fighter. His last positive test raises a curious question for me. UFC is a USADA governed sport. He was arrested for running over a pregnant woman while drunk driving a few years ago. He hit the woman with his car, fled the scene on foot, and the police simply read the registration in his car to find him. The car had dealer levels of cocaine in it. When they "arrested" him, he was drunk. Mysteriously, he wasn't tested for five hours from the time of arrest. Flash forward six months later, the police department has lost all of the evidence, and UFC has paid off the woman, so she won't press charges. His lifetime ban from the sport is six months.

He is entered to fight in UFC200 last year. He returns a positive test for PED prior to the fight, is given a lifetime ban by UFC and the fight is cancelled.

He fights in UFC214 last month, wins his title back after another lifetime ban being commuted to one year. Now it is coming out that he tested positive for PEDS again, but before the fight. UFC had the results before the fight happened, and they let the fight happen again. Clearly the cost of cancelling another big ticket fight is their reasoning for letting a fight happen knowing the fighter has tested positive. MMA fans are saying, but they haven't stripped his title and the B-sample hasn't come back yet. I sort of chuckle at them when they say this. As a cycling fan, I know that if A is positive, B will be also. They are clinging to hope for this guy for some reason however. He clearly uses constantly, and doesn't even do it good enough to not get caught. My question is, what validation does UFC get if they let an athlete participate in an event with a positive test? USADA administers testing in the sport. What fallout does UFC face from USADA? Where is Travis Tygart?
The only sports at this point that aren't compromised by doping are curling and maybe synchronized swimming.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Pretty sure Olympic synchronized swimmers micro dose EPO and use that stuff they busted Maria Sharipova for.
First off, Maria was using that drug for a "magnesium deficiency", so she's totally innocent. So now I guess what are left with curling. What about Equestrian Dressage?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
First off, Maria was using that drug for a "magnesium deficiency", so she's totally innocent. So now I guess what are left with curling. What about Equestrian Dressage?
Couldn't she just eat more spinach & sunflower seeds for her magnesium?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
as a college water polo player, the synchro girls used to share pool, & share training with us. They can out egg beater most water polo players and can skull faster than most normal folks can swim. They used to try to teach us moves we'd all be unable to do. Put yourself vertical in a pool, head down, now keeping your body rigid and your toes pointed use only your hands over your head to left your legs all the way out of the water and stabilized. Now rotate, Now do the splits while rotating. Oh yeah,and you are underwater the whole time. People make fun of synchro swimmers but as someone who knows, those girls are beasts, pure athletes

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
as a college water polo player, the synchro girls used to share pool, & share training with us. They can out egg beater most water polo players and can skull faster than most normal folks can swim. They used to try to teach us moves we'd all be unable to do. Put yourself vertical in a pool, head down, now keeping your body rigid and your toes pointed use only your hands over your head to left your legs all the way out of the water and stabilized. Now rotate, Now do the splits while rotating. Oh yeah,and you are underwater the whole time. People make fun of synchro swimmers but as someone who knows, those girls are beasts, pure athletes
Exactly!

That's why I thought EPO and the other stuff. When Maria got popped I looked it up, developed by Russian military to combat fatigue and altitude issues. From what I read it had some great aerobic and energy properties with few side effects. Short duration and half life.

Syncro swimming is legit skill, power and aerobic ability. Far from easy even at the novice level.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I guess that is one option, but taking a Soviet era drug that the rest of the world doesn't consider to have any medical benefits is clearly the better option.
I googled up the PED that Sharipova was busted for back when it happened. It was available on eBay from Russian vendors. There was even peer review, although limited, that shows some beneficial effects for cardio performance with fewer side effects than most over the counter stuff that's considered "safe" by the FDA.

Not condoning the use of PED, but data that shows military age males, performing better at cold high altitude endurance events is maybe something modern medicine should be investigating.

Back to John Jones, it's pretty clear he and the UFC are not taking doping seriously.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts