Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....getting a bar in the ribs, same thing :( The mtb brakes are a lot more sensitive than my commuter bike brakes, so one minute into yesterday's mtb ride, I grab a handful at slow speed- instant endo. Same thing happened a couple weeks ago, but without the added insult of the handlebar/rib combination.

Luckily, got a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyway, to get a Rx for the upper back pain/arm numbness issues. I'll ask the X-ray techs to take a look at the ribs while I'm there. Got bruises on both legs, residual bruises from the last crash on the right calf, and misc. scratches. Trying Lidoderm patches on the bruised ribs, plus an Advil.

At least I was able to ride....though I don't know how to explain to doc that I was riding despite being told to take it easy for a month.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i had that same wakeup call when i pulled the mtb down frm the hook after a two year absence. made goin back to the cross bike a bit...interesting.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's pathetic is that I've been mountain biking for 19 years. My skill level belies my experience.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Christine said:
though I don't know how to explain to doc that I was riding despite being told to take it easy for a month.
Tell him you were taking it easy- you were going slow, right? :D

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, slo-mo crashes suck. You have all that extra time to know what's coming as it happens. "Oh crap.....can't stop.........this is gonna hurt.........is that my handlebar?? %*$(@)#!!!"

The great thing about Lidoderm patches is that you can cut them for a more custom fit. So I can slap one on the ribs, and the rest of the patch on the back if needed.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ouch. Hope the ribs are okay.

Same thing happens to me... I get out on the trail with the mtb and at the first need to brake, I grab a handful of disc-brake action and end up with a mouthful of dirt. Too much time on the clean bike rather than the dirty bike, I guess.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I feel ya on Sat I road off of a 6 foot drop.. forgot I was on the hard tail and took the seat to the butt.. back still hurts and I bent the seat post... awesome...

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Ummmmm....how about NNC in teh title so WE know what's coming, noob?

Hope you're feeling better, state champ. Hang in there.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
ballast

Sounds like you need more ballast on the rear end. That's my approach.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
Christine said:
True, guess the mtb gets kinda p!ssy when it doesn't see enough dirt :p
See, that's exactly what happened to me, I hadn't ridden my mtb for a while. I go ride and it throws me, then a broken arm.

Hope the ribs and back are ok.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I knew you'd all understand! One is never alone with one's boneheaded injuries in the Lounge :p

It's even hard to breathe, guess the swelling pushes back on the lungs or ribs or whatever. Stifled a sneeze last night, I was afraid what it might do! Whine whine whine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.