Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried both and if you have, what is your opinion?
i've searched lots of the threads on this matter and havent seen a post from a person who has experience with both.
i have 10 speed veloce shifters and a totally shimano 9 speed drive train. i've been using that fix i learned about online where you configure the rear derailleur cable in such a way so that it works. i've used that method for a full year and its worked great.
now i want to simply move up to a full 10 speed setup.
i've read some things about there possibly being an issue concerning the fact that the american classic might cause the derailleur to move too closely to the spokes. has anyone ever had a problem with that, when using that cassette?
on the jtek site, they argue that the reconstituted conversion cassettes are not as efficient or good as the original manufacturers models. any comments?
also, i already have a ten speed shimano ultegra cassette. i was going to sell it, and get the amer. classic cassette, but then i heard about the shiftmate option.
i can get the shiftmate for $40. the cassette will cost $75. i also need to factor in the fact that i could sell my brand new 10 speed cassette if i went with the american classic cassette option. any input would be appreciated.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
neither one...

Unless your rear wheel is extremely valuable and changing the cassette body is not an option, I'd consider either selling the wheel or using it on another bike. Then get a Campy compatible rear wheel and be done with it. If you intend to keep using Campy parts, there's no better time to rid yourself of the shimano wheel.

· Registered
127 Posts
I have not tried American Classic cassettes, but I've run a Wheels cassette for 3600 miles now and counting with everything else Record and no problems. I have two other bikes with full Campy and I don't notice a difference. I've tried it with Rolf Vector Comp and Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels with no spoke clearance problems and they provide plenty of spacers with the cassette to get it dialed in.

One other possibility, on some wheels such as Mavic, you can swap out the cassette body for around $50 and get the Campy one, which is a bit cheaper than a new set of wheels. I'll probably do that when the Wheels cassette dies, as I found a deal on Veloce cassettes and stocked up.

· Registered
71 Posts
Don't forget you will need a 10 spd chain also. I recently put on shimano 10 spd shifters with my shimano 9 spd drivetrain with a shiftmate. I don't know how it will work in your situation, but the shiftmate is working great for my setup.

· Registered
376 Posts
The AmClassic didn't work for me

When I switched to Campy I blissfully tried it on both my D/A-Open Pros and my Velomax Orions. Neither wheel had enough dish in it to accomodate the 10 speed spacing. Fortunately I had not ridden the cassette, and Excel took it back no questions asked.

I ended up running the 9-speed setup using the D/A wheels on my rain bike (same as you) and had a set of handbuilts done by Mike Garcia, so overall I agree with C40. Getting a Campy wheel just takes the guesswork out of the process.

The moral of the story is depending on your wheel it may or may not work. Just make sure you can take the cassette back.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I have both....

For what you are doing, go with the JTek. The AC works great if you have the Campy shifters and chain as well. It is made to convert just a Shimano hub to a Campy system.

The Jtek pulley does exactly what you need. You will need a new cable, and take your time dialing it in. I have used this on both a 9spd and 10spd Shimano with Campy shifters, and had no problems...

The Flash

G

·
I use Am Classic cassettes all the time, they work fine. The drivetrain works as well with those as with a Campy cassette.

I also use Shimano cassettes with Campy drivetrains, I re-space them using a spacer kit from Branford Bike, this also works flawlessly.

I have not tried a Jtek, I understand they work well.

You have a number of choices.

Am Classic - works very well and you will not know the difference. Set your RD up properly and you will have no problems.

Use a Shimano, or SRAM cassette with a spacer kit. Works very well, commenst as above re setting the RD.

Use a Jtek.

Get a CAmpy wheel.

Lots of choices and different cost points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.