Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to figure out what type of frame I have here with my fixie since I bought it. The guy I bought it from had no idea what it was.

I was wondering how well one might be able to tell what kind of bike they've got by looking at lugs. I found a bike online that seems to have very similar, if not the same exact design lugs.

My bike is the green one, and the white one is one I found online. Mine's got campy dropouts on the frame and fork if that helps. What else should I look for to either confirm or deny that this is a Bob Jackson?

Thanks,

joe

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
You'll probably have more luck with this over on the retro board but I wouldn't say it's a BJ, the lugs are similar but not the same. Follow the lug outlines on the head tube lugs, they curve in more before dropping on the Jackson.

I think, depending on if it's original, the fork crown lug might hold more clues than the other lugs.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha.... I see that now, about the outline of the lugs. I'll take some better pics when I get home from work and drop by the retro forum. but honestly I'm a little skeered of those guys ;)

joe

· Registered
5,644 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Aha.... I see that now, about the outline of the lugs. I'll take some better pics when I get home from work and drop by the retro forum. but honestly I'm a little skeered of those guys ;)

joe
they are all innoculated Joe, don't worry.

Does your frame have a serial number? if so you could contact Bob Jackson.

as the frame has campy dropouts, it would mean that it was on the higher end of the spectrum (probably)

· duh...
9,749 Posts
seat cluster is very different too. Those little back 'tabs' on green bike are unusual and the seatstays are mitered way up there. I bet someone would be able to tell what it is just from those things alone.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
A few tips before you post your question.

Look inside the head tube to see if you can tell what the frame is made of.

Weigh the bike.

Check for any serial numbers or codes.

If it has any original Shimano parts, look up the date codes stamped on them

What is the seat post size.

The seat post size can be cross checked online with sheldonbrown.com. It was the one clue that really helped me identify a bike I had. The 26.6mm narrowed the range down to about 3 or 4 bikes that it could have been and the weight of the bike narrowed that to 1 or 2.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52885

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
handsomerob said:
A few tips before you post your question.

Look inside the head tube to see if you can tell what the frame is made of.

Weigh the bike.

Check for any serial numbers or codes.

If it has any original Shimano parts, look up the date codes stamped on them

What is the seat post size.

The seat post size can be cross checked online with sheldonbrown.com. It was the one clue that really helped me identify a bike I had. The 26.6mm narrowed the range down to about 3 or 4 bikes that it could have been and the weight of the bike narrowed that to 1 or 2.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52885

Thanks for the info, I'll find out more info when I get home. As for what I have access to right now at work (from a previous posting) the bottom bracket is stamped with CO121. The frame has no original parts to speak of. Also, here is a picture of the fork crown.

Also, a link to my original thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=56966

joe

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seat tube is 27.2

I'm gonna check Sheldon Brown's site.

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.