Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's cycling and coming up on her from behind. He gets passed and that cyclist passes her and she jumps in the path of this other guy and gets run over. His fault and he pays her bills. Judy says in a round about way. Doesn't matter what the jogger does. You hit them on a bike you are at fault.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
This will probably get appealed to Judge Wapner.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Wait. Too many pronouns. I'm having a problem following how it happened.

Can you repost with "jogger" and "cyclist" and somehow it seems like there is a 3rd person...?
2 cyclists, 1 jogger.

Cyclist A gets passed by cyclist B, B also passes Jogger. After being passed by B Jogger jumps infront of A who runs Jogger over. Judge Judy says Cyclist A must pay. Ya dig?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
threesportsinone said:
2 cyclists, 1 jogger.

Cyclist A gets passed by cyclist B, B also passes Jogger. After being passed by B Jogger jumps infront of A who runs Jogger over. Judge Judy says Cyclist A must pay. Ya dig?
Oh. Thanks. Why the crap would a jogger jump in front of a cyclist? Lame.

Seems logical to me though. Like hitting a car from behind I guess. And on trails, bikes always yield to peds and horses. I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Seems to me the jogger is on the wrong side of the road...or the cyclists were. THAT should be the determining factor....

·
Registered
89 Posts
DerBoeseKoenig said:
That is bull****. Usually cyclists are smart about staying on the right side of the road. It seems the runner would have been on the wrong side, so it would have been there fault. Judge Judy isn't as smart as she seems.
I believe this was on a multi-use path, both joggers and cyclists on the right except to pass. The first cyclist startled the runner, who stepped/jumped off the path, then came back on without looking, and the second cyclist struck her.

Two things to keep in mind. Cyclists need to be very, very cautious on paths, and cyclists should never take a case to Judge Judy unless they have a very, very strong case. She generally has not been kind to cyclists in runners vs cyclists. She has, however, favored cyclists in dogs vs cyclists.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Marlin said:
I believe this was on a multi-use path, both joggers and cyclists on the right except to pass. The first cyclist startled the runner, who stepped/jumped off the path, then came back on without looking, and the second cyclist struck her.

Two things to keep in mind. Cyclists need to be very, very cautious on paths, and cyclists should never take a case to Judge Judy unless they have a very, very strong case. She generally has not been kind to cyclists in runners vs cyclists. She has, however, favored cyclists in dogs vs cyclists.
There is a problem here, and it begins with your second sentence. How does a runner on an MUT get startled by a cyclist? This is akin to saying a motorist on the highway was startled by a passing motorcycle and simply doesn't make any sense. A passing vehicle should be responded to by maintaining your course steadily, not being startled, swerving off the road/trail, and then coming back on without looking. Pedestrians are frequently startled by me when I yell "on the left" on the MUT, regardless of the signs that say "bikers please announce passing on the left" and regardless of whether I yell it within 50ft. or 20ft.... Why? Because they are using the trail as if they are the only people on it. On the capitol crescent trail there are frequently groups of runners or walkers running four abreast. The local high school cross country team takes up the whole trail when they run, both sides. Frequently these folks have Ipods blaring in their ears... why do they deserve any benefit of the doubt or right of way.

When and if I have a problem on my local MUT I will hopefully not be seriously injured so that I can beat the crap out of the person I hit and teach them a lesson. It is time for some personal accountability in this regard and if the justice system and police won't recognize that the pedestrians are the problem then someone has to take matters into their own hands....

·
Registered
175 Posts
People are just rude. I run a lot, and often on the paths I'll see people walking 2, 3, 4 abreats. I'm coming toward them so they see me. But often times, they won't move and I have to run off the path to pass them. I fail to understand why they won't move when they're blocking the path and they see me coming. There's just no accounting for manners these days I guess. On occasion, I'll run between them which is always amusing.

bbtheory said:
There is a problem here, and it begins with your second sentence. How does a runner on an MUT get startled by a cyclist? This is akin to saying a motorist on the highway was startled by a passing motorcycle and simply doesn't make any sense. A passing vehicle should be responded to by maintaining your course steadily, not being startled, swerving off the road/trail, and then coming back on without looking. Pedestrians are frequently startled by me when I yell "on the left" on the MUT, regardless of the signs that say "bikers please announce passing on the left" and regardless of whether I yell it within 50ft. or 20ft.... Why? Because they are using the trail as if they are the only people on it. On the capitol crescent trail there are frequently groups of runners or walkers running four abreast. The local high school cross country team takes up the whole trail when they run, both sides. Frequently these folks have Ipods blaring in their ears... why do they deserve any benefit of the doubt or right of way.

When and if I have a problem on my local MUT I will hopefully not be seriously injured so that I can beat the crap out of the person I hit and teach them a lesson. It is time for some personal accountability in this regard and if the justice system and police won't recognize that the pedestrians are the problem then someone has to take matters into their own hands....

·
Done
4,591 Posts
And YOU can clean up....

macalu said:
First I said 'on your left'.

Then, I used a bell.

Now I use a refs whistle.

Airhorn next.
And YOU can clean up the slippery brown piles that will be left on the trail every time you fire that thing off.

Actually, I'm thinking more along the lines of a handlebar mounted tennis ball cannon.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
macalu said:
First I said 'on your left'.

Then, I used a bell.

Now I use a refs whistle.

Airhorn next.
I don't know if they still make em, but at one point there were these soda bottle powered air horns available. I don't remember how the compressed air got into the soda bottles, but the net effect was that of a 'real' air horn.

Ahhh the good ole days!

M

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.